Sign in to follow this  

Washington Intro and Inquiry!

Hey everyone...

I'm a Seattle local and looking to get myself back on a dirt bike after a number of years away from the sport. I grew up in San Diego where I used to do a lot of desert riding, but haven't owned a dirtbike in a long time. I do a lot of track days on sport bikes and that's been my financial sink hole and main hobby for a while now, but for a myriad of reasons I am looking to shift back into trail riding.

I've done a little riding up in British Columbia previously, but have never seen a single trail here in WA state. I know there's some good stuff out there, but was hoping to find a good resource on where I could read up on and get a feel for what's available. Ideally, trail heads within two hours of Seattle metro would be prefered. Something I could make a day out of and stil get some nice riding in, but good options farther out that could be made into a weekend camping trip would work too. However, my main goal is to find some easily accesible and consistenly enjoyable terrain here in the back yard.

My experience level, given my hiatus, is probably intermediate but I would get pretty comfortable again in not much time. Single or double track is cool with me....but, yeah. What's out there? Share some photos or videos if you have them would be rad....I'll probably sell my track bike at the end of this season and then get my dirt gear squared away in time for next Spring/Summer. Eyes are on the KTM 350XCF-W right now. Nothing really tickling my fancy quite like that bike is....

Other than that, nice to meet everyone and hope to meet a few of you, or more, on future rides.

Cheers,

-J

No need to wait, we ride year round here. Belfair has an area called Tahuya Forrest which we ride in winter, you can head north to Walker Valley for tech single track. Tahuya wouod probably be easiest to get back into riding. Let us know when you get a ride and you can tag along with someone on here to show you around.

No need to wait, we ride year round here. Belfair has an area called Tahuya Forrest which we ride in winter, you can head north to Walker Valley for tech single track. Tahuya wouod probably be easiest to get back into riding. Let us know when you get a ride and you can tag along with someone on here to show you around.

That would be great....I would definitely appreciate a tour and a few riding buddies. I know a couple guys that ride but not too many, and one is a much better rider than myself. Seen a YouTube video of Tahuya it looks great....I am an "ease into it" kind of guy with nothing to prove so I'm not into anything overly technical, afterall my roots are in California desert riding - but I do love being in the trees. The trail riding I did in BC was some of the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. Very remote and very beautiful terrain....

Edited by jc.av8r

Welcome jc.av8

I'm sure we can provide you with some good trail riding, Like Timbanditos said, We ride year round at Walker Valley. There is some great mountain riding here in the summer to early fall as well within a 2 hour drive but fire has hampered that this year.

Here's a good place to start:   http://www.meetup.com/SingleTrackRiders/

Just joined myself. We've got a few fires to deal with right now but after that riding should be good just about everywhere. For what it's worth, I've been riding my 350exc and find it to be the perfect bike for the PNW single track stuff we have here. Oh, IMO it would be a good idea to get yours plated.

Hey everyone...

I'm a Seattle local and looking to get myself back on a dirt bike after a number of years away from the sport. I grew up in San Diego where I used to do a lot of desert riding, but haven't owned a dirtbike in a long time. I do a lot of track days on sport bikes and that's been my financial sink hole and main hobby for a while now, but for a myriad of reasons I am looking to shift back into trail riding.

I've done a little riding up in British Columbia previously, but have never seen a single trail here in WA state. I know there's some good stuff out there, but was hoping to find a good resource on where I could read up on and get a feel for what's available. Ideally, trail heads within two hours of Seattle metro would be prefered. Something I could make a day out of and stil get some nice riding in, but good options farther out that could be made into a weekend camping trip would work too. However, my main goal is to find some easily accesible and consistenly enjoyable terrain here in the back yard.

My experience level, given my hiatus, is probably intermediate but I would get pretty comfortable again in not much time. Single or double track is cool with me....but, yeah. What's out there? Share some photos or videos if you have them would be rad....I'll probably sell my track bike at the end of this season and then get my dirt gear squared away in time for next Spring/Summer. Eyes are on the KTM 350XCF-W right now. Nothing really tickling my fancy quite like that bike is....

Other than that, nice to meet everyone and hope to meet a few of you, or more, on future rides.

Cheers,

-J

Im from the Seattle area as well (Fremont) and do a lot of riding in the Monroe / Carnation area (almost every week).. So only about a 40 minute drive.  Also Mt SI in north bend has some good trail riding.   However it can be tricky right now to get to some of them since there paving middle fork road during the week which leads to most of the good trails.  Walker Valley is cool but can be difficult at times (especially on my DRZ400).  If you want to tag along with me and possible some of my buddies up in the Monroe just let me know, its a good place to get back on the bike.. Not difficult riding and great scenery.

Hoping to start exploring Tahuya and Taneaum Creek.. As i have heard both are alot of fun.

Matt 

Im from the Seattle area as well (Fremont) and do a lot of riding in the Monroe / Carnation area (almost every week).. So only about a 40 minute drive.  Also Mt SI in north bend has some good trail riding.   However it can be tricky right now to get to some of them since there paving middle fork road during the week which leads to most of the good trails.  Walker Valley is cool but can be difficult at times (especially on my DRZ400).  If you want to tag along with me and possible some of my buddies up in the Monroe just let me know, its a good place to get back on the bike.. Not difficult riding and great scenery.

Hoping to start exploring Tahuya and Taneaum Creek.. As i have heard both are alot of fun.

Matt 

Monroe/Carnation/Si are for plated dualsport bikes and are not necessarily offroad singletrack or two track

Joe

Monroe/Carnation/Si are for plated dualsport bikes and are not necessarily offroad singletrack or two track

Joe

I think you're "technically" right about you having to have a plated bike, however the Monroe trails can be directly got to by truck so you wouldn't have to put your bike on the street.  In the 2 years riding out there, I have been with plenty of buddies with non-plated dirt bikes and never had an issue.  I agree its no Walker Valley as far as single track goes, but we have discovered some pretty cool single track stuff out there and tons of two track.  As for mt. Si, a couple of my buddies are on non-plated dirt bikes and again, no problems.  There we have found single track that can get pretty gnarly and some great two track and fire roads.

All in all I'm just trying to offer a good close alternative to the Seattle area as I know it can be a pain to have to commute far.  And you're probably right, having a plated bike would make it easier / less prone to drawing attention.

Thanks to everyone's input so far....

If one were to get caught riding an ORV without a plate in a restricted area, what are the penalties like? My intent is/was to get the 350xcf-w, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to stepping up to the exf-w so it could be properly street legal. However....is that really necessary?

Edited by jc.av8r

I’m not sure what the price of admission is to ride on our public DNR land locked up behind the gate but I’ll probably find out some day. As for plated bikes there are plenty of options since you can plate just about anything in Washington now. (Thank you Tod701 and all who put in the effort). The EXC if bought new cost money to make rideable and the XC-W cost money to make street legal and requires a plate, orv tabs and oh yes, the Disco pass.

I’m not sure what the price of admission is to ride on our public DNR land locked up behind the gate but I’ll probably find out some day. As for plated bikes there are plenty of options since you can plate just about anything in Washington now. (Thank you Tod701 and all who put in the effort). The EXC if bought new cost money to make rideable and the XC-W cost money to make street legal and requires a plate, orv tabs and oh yes, the Disco pass.

Can you elaborate on that? I posted this in another forum...but trying to understand the differences between the XCF-W and EXC-F...

From what I can tell, these bikes are essentially identical apart from one being street legal dual sport and the other being just a trail bike.

http://www.ktm.com/u...ml#.U-5ThGM_yF8

http://www.ktm.com/u...ml#.U-5TZ2M_yF8

Engine and chassis specs all the same on the website....am I missing something? Are there any real pro/con trade offs that I am not seeing by going up to an EXC-F?

Edited by jc.av8r

Thanks to everyone's input so far....

If one were to get caught riding an ORV without a plate in a restricted area, what are the penalties like? My intent is/was to get the 350xcf-w, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to stepping up to the exf-w so it could be properly street legal. However....is that really necessary?

Exactly the reason I bought the EXC. Our lovely governor with a stroke of a pen allowed us to register our dirt bikes for street use and with that same pen can take that away. Now the EXC has in its vin number a designation that specifies its 50 state / EPA street legal. You can’t take that away so easily. So with that said IMO it’s worth it to get the EXC. And you also get a lovely steering stem lock! Whoo Hooo….

• Like 1

I guess I can’t speak for the new FI EXC but my 08 required desmog, chain and sprockets, chain guide and slip on(I could have modified the stock one) and springs to work like a XC-W. Good thing about the EXC is it comes plated so no need to dual register it. If I had to do it again, I would still go with the EXC if I was to get a new KTM. Don’t discount Beta for a plated bike. Had to toss that out there :smirk:

Edited by Enduroguy
  • Like 2

The EXC doesn't require a desmog / new ECU map but does run like an XCF-w when you do and it can all be put back on should you ever want to put it back to stock. The EXC however does require new gearing. The stock 14/45 just doesn't work.

Mt Si you say? Hmmmm :thinking:

Don't get to happy... I lived in Snoqualmie for over 15 years and the only riding back there is fire roads and private land. If you get caught on the hiking / biking trails they'll throw your ass on the spit and have you for BBQ.

• Like 2

. . .and requires a plate, orv tabs and oh yes, the Disco pass.

According to the law, you do not need a D-pass to ride a vehicle registered as an ORV anywhere ORV use is legal.

That said, the DNR does not always comply with the law and has illegally written tickets in the past.

According to the law, you do not need a D-pass to ride a vehicle registered as an ORV anywhere ORV use is legal.

That said, the DNR does not always comply with the law and has illegally written tickets in the past.

Do people get these tickets dropped, or are they all ignoring the law?

Do people get these tickets dropped, or are they all ignoring the law?

The one case where I provided technical support went against the DNR, but I don't know about all the others.

Some judges have proven to be clueless on the topic and don't care, viewing it as similar to a parking ticket and refusing to even read the law.

Other times, I suspect that people avoid the hassle of standing up for their rights and just sent a check.