Sign in to follow this  

conversion vs buying a supermoto

So I've been into supermotos for a while now but I'm not sure if I should convert something over, like a crf450r or crf450x, or if I should just buy something like a drz400. Time is not an issue for I have about a year and a half before I can get my license. I have about $3500 at the moment to buy a bike, and more $$$ in the near future. What would be easier/cheaper to do. I've heard maintenence on crf450r can be a hassle with the constant oil changes. But the heavy weight and less power is an issue with the drz.

I don't really have much experience with supermoto but I remember 'jake thegardensnake' saying that he always thought that his drz400 that was converted to supermoto always felt better than when he would ride a drz400sm. So if money is not an issue then I would probably convert a bike to a supermoto, that what I plan to do to a ktm 450 exc.

The Honda 450's handle well but don't do so well long term on the valves.

The Suzuki and the Yamaha WR450's have a superior valve train and are very reliable.

yep my 2008 yz450f with all graves stuff i put ove 110 hrs on it hard at peak revs and sold the motor and the other dude almost 2 yrs later is running it as a mx bike and motor is still solidddddddddd

I have a converted WR450SM which is awesome and my brother has a DRZ400SM which is also awesome. I have to say the main difference is the DRZ being a little bit heavier, but when you ride the bike its just feels like 100% made for the street. Mine feels great on the street until you ride his. Oh and the oil changes on the DRZ is much better I change my oil ever 500 miles and his manual says every 4,000 miles  :jawdrop:

I have a converted WR450SM which is awesome and my brother has a DRZ400SM which is also awesome. I have to say the main difference is the DRZ being a little bit heavier, but when you ride the bike its just feels like 100% made for the street. Mine feels great on the street until you ride his. Oh and the oil changes on the DRZ is much better I change my oil ever 500 miles and his manual says every 4,000 miles  :jawdrop:

All true. The DRZ is a good bike and holds two quarts of oil instead of one. But it is quite a bit heavier and a bit slower.   But who cares you gotta just :ride: em.

• Like 1

I rode a KTM SMR 450 race bike today and spent much of the day behind a DRZ400.  Granted, this was my first day on a SM bike but I'd say the DRZ is a solid choice for that price range.  Conversions will cost you at least $1,000 and then you have to get after the suspension.  DRZ's need exhaust, and some minor tweaks and they're good to go, or so I'm told...  DRZ400SM that is.

Like any bike, once you get started you could spend as much $ as you want and still come up with reasons to spend more...

I bought a 05 DRZ400SM a few months ago for $2800. After you buy wheels, tires and brakes, you might not have much of your $3500 to buy a bike with! You planning on riding on the street? That makes a difference too.

• Like 1

I'd go with the DRZ. Reliability is definitely there and don't forget about post purchase expenses like maintenance!