Sign in to follow this  

Xt 350 neutral switch

Hi guys, I'm finding it difficult to find neutral. While searching through the gears it sometimes cuts out. Could it be that I'm actually finding neutral but the light is not showing it and could it also be the switch that is making it cut out. Anyone had similar problems thanks for the help.

Has it always been like this ??? The neutral switch won't make it cut out . I don't even have a neutral light on mine and have no problem finding neutral .

try bypassing the kickstand switch for the cutting out.

Mine hasnt got a side stand switch either lol , didn't think the xt had that fitted

Hi guys, mine is the 86 model and does not have a side stand switch or it has been removed but that is exactly what it feels like when it cuts out. When riding the bike moves through all the gears sweet. It's only when you come to a stop and are moving the shifter up and down looking for neutral. It's very strange thanks for the help.

Just to add. It is easyer to find neutral when the engine is not running. Could it be, the clutch needs adjusting or an oil change. It's only done 50 miles since a top end rebuild. Thanks in advance.

It's not perhaps that there's a crack/ small gap at the rubber intake manifold boots? Quite a common problem on these bikes. But you might know when it's idling problems. Adjusting the clutch at the handle lever, turning the set screw out might tell if it's the clutch (just record on paper what you set). Let us know your progress.

The rubber intake boots are new. I don't know why that would affect finding neutral. The bike starts and idles ok( there's still room for improvement) I did notice that there was to much oil in it. So I cracked the drain plug to let some out. Turned it to far and ended up doing an unscheduled oil change. I'll refill today to the correct level. It's a long shot but I want to try everything before I blame it on a dodgy gearbox. The bikes gears are very smooth. It just neutral. Thanks for the help.

I have the same problem with my xt350 minus the cutting out. Just like you, it shifts well and rides fine but if I stop and try putting it in neutral it takes me way too long to the point where I'll just turn the bike off if I'm going into a store or something. Also, when the bike is off I can find neutral super easy. Saw a thread in TT where a guy said he switched oil and neutral was easier to find. It's a long shot but he claims it worked. As far as the cutting out goes, definitely sounds like the kickstand kill switch but mine has the kickstand still and the kill switch definitely works. Maybe a wiring issue?