Sign in to follow this  

Trouble clearing jumps

Fairly new to riding on a mx track, and just starting to get comfortable jumping. For some reason though i have real trouble clearing jumps, ive watched guys jump this small step up and it just sounds like they aren't on the gas at all and they still manage to clear it. Am i just not carrying my speed through the turn ? Maybe they are a gear higher? I'm just thinking about just ripping it wide open out of the turn. Any tips?

It's possible that they are in a higher gear and using momentum to clear the jump. Just take it slow if your still new to mx tracks until you start to get comfortable in yourself knowing what you can and can't do. Don't do anything that you don't think you can. Then keep riding and your can't do list will get smaller.

Fairly new to riding on a mx track, and just starting to get comfortable jumping. For some reason though i have real trouble clearing jumps, ive watched guys jump this small step up and it just sounds like they aren't on the gas at all and they still manage to clear it. Am i just not carrying my speed through the turn ? Maybe they are a gear higher? I'm just thinking about just ripping it wide open out of the turn. Any tips?

They are probably stiffer on the bike as they load into the face.  That puts more energy into the spring.  When it rebounds...they get more height than you.  They are also probably going faster than you, but you dont realize how slow you are really going.  We all run into this...  Just take your time.  This is not a sport where you say F*** it and go for it.  Do that...end up in the hospital.

• Like 1

Are they seat bouncing to get over it? 

Nope, just coasting up the face like its nothing, i feel like im wailing on it and i dont even clear it

I am heading to the track tomorrow and I will take video of the jumps i am talking about, so you get a better idea.

Get one of them to let you follow them up to a jump so you can pace yourself, that's how I was able to start hitting larger doubles, now its no problem. What kind of bike are you on?

This is not a sport where you say F*** it and go for it. Do that...end up in the hospital.

Really? That's the only way me and my buddies will hit anything...

"I donno... You hit it first."

"Hell no"

"Fine lets check out the face"

"&%$#@! it! I'll just hit it!"

Chances are you are going much slower than you think. It sucks you feel like you are riding great than you see the video.

• Like 3

Get one of them to let you follow them up to a jump so you can pace yourself, that's how I was able to start hitting larger doubles, now its no problem. What kind of bike are you on?

I went last weekend so there would be more people that could actually cleared the jumps, i tried following a few and it seems they are going a tad faster.

Chances are you are going much slower than you think. It sucks you feel like you are riding great than you see the video.

Exactly hah

Really? That's the only way me and my buddies will hit anything...

"I donno... You hit it first."

"Hell no"

"Fine lets check out the face"

"&%$#@! it! I'll just hit it!"

Haha same here. I usually decide as im coming out of the turn before a new jump that I'm gonna go for it. Hasn't failed me yet!

One of the best tips I got from a guy was to "up shift a gear". i was riding a track and using mostly third gear, fourth every now and then. Started riding the track in fourth using more throttle, everything just got easy after that. I also learned to get right on the throttle coming out of a turn, that extra couple feet that you are on the gas will make a big difference in the next coming jump. Sit and watch the other riders, see when they brake and when they hit the gas. Dont be affraid to ask questions to riders on how they hit a particular jump. When your ready to try it, go for it!

• Like 1

Also make sure you land hard on the gas, it absorbs impact for when you land and you carry more speed.

Eventually you just gotta suck it up and hit it. If you're not familiar and comfortable jumping I'd practice jumping stuff a lot before anything big. But yeah it's the best feeling in the world hitting huge gap for the first time. Butterflys haha

3rd gear pinned

On what? If I hit that 3rd gear pinned on my 450 I would need a space suit.

• Like 3

250f :p and dude me and some guy who said he is a local pro (doubt it) just started hitting that it's just a huge pile of extra dirt for the track.

• Like 1

Couldn't flip the video on my phone but here's the hit on it Ram off road park Aug. 19 2014: .

Edited by kmx 193
  • Like 1