Sign in to follow this  

Cheap bike for messing around

My friend wants to get into dirtbiking he is about 5' 3" and can only spend around 800. He will be trail riding mostly and messing around. He has ridden other friends' bike and had pw 50 when he was around 6 or 7. He doesnt want a two stroke but i think i can convince him though. I was thinking crf150 or 230 but thats a little above his budget. Maybe an 85 2t? Thanks guys

You might be able to find an older KX 100 for around $800. There a good all around fun bike. Much lighter, better suspension and pretty reliable.

At that price, a Honda xr 200 is a good choice if he doesn't want a 2 stroke. It will be cheap to maintain, have plenty of power without being intimidating, and still have some room for him to grow into. It's very similar to the crf 150 and crf 230 except it lacks the electric start and front disc brake. They're ultra-reliable; just filter cleaning, oil changes, and infrequent valve adjustments (also incredibly simple compared to modern 4 strokes) will keep them going forever. Heck, you don't even need to do any of that stuff and they will still run, but you will encounter problems eventually.

He could also look into a Yamaha ttr 230/225, but those don't have as good a reputation as the xr 200. The Yamaha rt 180 is another choice, it is a 2 stroke though, but is dead reliable and will run on cheap premix. However, I don't have experience with either one of these bikes. I have had plenty of air-cooled Hondas though, including a crf 150, which I really loved even though a lot of people dislike the suspension.

Don't go for a pit bike that isn't a genuine Kawasaki klx 110 or Honda crf 50. Chinese stuff is crap in the dirt bike world and parts are difficult to find at local dealers.

Edit: Just checked out your garage and saw that you have an xr 200. Has he ridden yours?

Edited by Nick Merrell

tell him to save a few more bucks a budget of $1500 will open up his options a lot more

thays what i was thinking.

You aren't gonna get a nice bike for 800 bucks. You can get a decent cr80 or kx85 possibly on Craigslist. The problem with cheap two strokes is they are usually not maintained like a two stroke should. I would get a four stroke but your only gonna get an 80 or 100 for that budget