Sign in to follow this  

seized 09 yz250

I have the opportunity to buy an 09 yz250 that the owner says is seized. He doesnt know if its the piston or crank though. He wants 2200 for it but i'm sure i can talk him down because he is unsure of exactly whats wrong with it. Do you guys think it would be a good deal for that price? or if i talk him down even more?

im in Connecticut. The average price for an 09 in good condition i would say is between 2800 and 3400 depending on what is done to the bike

I wouldn't, but I'm a cheap ass lol... its possible for it to need $1000 or more in it, even with some used parts if you do the work yourself.. I'd say $1500 maybe, I wouldn't think he would get much more than that if he parted it out.

Maybe ask to take the pipe off and look through exhaust. It's at least some clue.

If the piston is seized doesn't mean there still isn't problems below. But if through the exhaust things look normal likely a lower end issue. A conscientious own will tell you how well he's maintained it. A slacker you'll likely know. Point is maybe he's maintained it great but never opened the engine. Cranks don't last forever. Or Pistons. A sloppy piston usually eventually snags a port not straight melt seize.

Look at the air filter and quiz the guy. How long he had it? Ever changed the piston? Clean the filter? Change the oil? Lose a drain plug? A tranny can lock a motor up also.

If your're capable and willing to do work on it a blown up bike can be a good thing. You open it get it right and know what you have. Gotta buy right. You'll have what it's"worth" or more in it. But running bikes can be ticking time bombs.

Knowing really what it needs is key to buying blown up.

Edited by Supertuner_tb
  • Like 1

im in Connecticut. The average price for an 09 in good condition i would say is between 2800 and 3400 depending on what is done to the bike

dont pay 2k.... 1500 or less. It's grenaded as far as you know and assume it is