Sign in to follow this  

Headlight options 1982 yamaha XT550

My son just started riding his XT550 on the street and we are looking to upgrade the stock seal beam headlight to something more modern

Leaning towards HID but I'm not sure the stock lighting coil will handle it. It will al least be halogen. I've been told the headlight size is. 5 3/4 and a halogen or HID upgrade for a Harley should fit the stock headlight housing

Any thoughts or suggestions?? Thanks

Bob

might need a stator rewind as that should be a 6 volt lighting system and I do not think it will take a hid unless some one makes a 6v led one.  most of the kits are for 12v systems. 

The bike is 12volt. I just don't know what the stock lighting coils will handle for current draw

Bob

here is a link to a guys site who made a compact led system I helped test on my wr250x and my 1997 et410.  it really works well.  you will have to contact him though as he does not list it yet and he hates bad electrical accessories.

www.yamaheater.com

as of the last time I talked to him it was not but he did tell me that others have run it on the street with no problems as long as the head lamp is aimed properly.  been running it all summer on my wr and no hassles here about it.