MRD/SSW to FMF Q4/POWERBOMB HEADER?

I was loving my MRD uncorked but now the loudness is getting old, I may cork it as it is just to loud.

Same exact thing here,  love the power uncorked,  but just like you,  the noise/loudness is getting old... 

Even corked its still loud IMHO. 

Edited by 150ron
  • Like 4

I got an MRD recently and realized it wasn't for me.  It's a blast on the roads but I ride to many trails and really miss the low end torque of my e exhaust so I'll be taking it off as soon since we have a big trail trip planned.

• Like 2

I have been considering these swap for sometime now, I will keep an eye on the thread for updates. FWIW, I dont think I would get rid of the MRD pipe, its just too sweet but I need options for the dual sport use of the bike.

• Like 2

Anyone on here ever went from a MRD/SSW (Z-PRO) on a DRZ to a FMF Q4 with the powerbomb header? if so please give me your honest review and thought on this, thanks.

Yup. Love it. Mrd sounded awesome but just way too loud, even with the quiet insert. Fmf is not much louder than stock at idle but it will bark if you twist the throttle. Still not even close to the mrd... I think the mrd gave the bike more top end. But It also feels like I have more low end torque now with the q4 and powerbomb header.

• Like 3

I have been considering these swap for sometime now, I will keep an eye on the thread for updates. FWIW, I dont think I would get rid of the MRD pipe, its just too sweet but I need options for the dual sport use of the bike.

Would be nice to have another pipe,  but im not the kind to change pipes back and forth,  so ill most likely just own one.

yes im doing the swap tomorrow

if i like it the MRD Z-pro is goin on ebay!!!

Great,   Really looking forward to seeing what you have to say,  maybe some comparision pics too,  that would be great,   me biggest concern is not loosing too much power,  the bike runs great with the MRD/SSW on there now,  power im very happy with. 

Yup. Love it. Mrd sounded awesome but just way too loud, even with the quiet insert. Fmf is not much louder than stock at idle but it will bark if you twist the throttle. Still not even close to the mrd... I think the mrd gave the bike more top end. But It also feels like I have more low end torque now with the q4 and powerbomb header.

Thanks,   what about going 80+ in 5th gear,  how does the combo you have on now compare to the MRD?  both in sound and power,  if the FMF Q4/POWERBOMB header is still gonna be very loud going 80+ mph so IMO there is no need to get rid of the MRD. 

IDK but if you do you got a buyer right here lmao!

Which exhaust do you have on yours?

I use lots of top end speed/power,  and the MRD is great for it,  even doing 70mph if i WOT it takes off,  so i know the MRD is second to only the dual yosh set up,  if i lose too much power i wont take it off,  will just have to put up with the noise.

I remember when i removed the quiet core from me MRD i noticed a nice little bump in power. 

• Like 1

Which exhaust do you have on yours?

I use lots of top end speed/power,  and the MRD is great for it,  even doing 70mph if i WOT it takes off,  so i know the MRD is second to only the dual yosh set up,  if i lose too much power i wont take it off,  will just have to put up with the noise.

I remember when i removed the quiet core from me MRD i noticed a nice little bump in power. 

Right now I have the "stealthy wheelie" exhaust system. aka the stock exhaust. The pipe I want and will eventually get is the MRD Z-Pro as noise and db levels is not any concern of mine. With that said I have no experience with any other exhaust systems other than stock besides actually hearing them next to me. I have seen people around me area with a Q4 and with a MRD. The MRD is much louder. That's about all I can say.

Seems like this would be a good thread to help you out though. https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/977320-mrd-exhaust-with-quiet-insert-or-fmf-q4-exhaust/

Edited by BugJuice
  • Like 1

When I had my DRZ, I went from my DG exhaust back to stock for about a week just to see the difference.  The lack of noise was nice for stealthy offroading, but on the road, I really noticed how corked up it was.  Granted, the Q4 will flow better than stock, but you will notice the power difference compared to the open exhaust.

• Like 2

Ron. I went from stock to FMF PB/Q4. I liked the FMF system but being the modder I am I tweeked the inner core of it a little. Over all on my bike I have not felt that much of an increase from stock to FMF to MRD. I know there was some but not like what a carb and cams can do. The noise level was just a bit quieter with the FMF over the MRD. Both of which have/had the QC/SA. The FMF is a good flowing exhaust. I feel the main diff is in the jetting and tuning of the engine and exhaust that gives you what you want. Without using a dyno to tune you will never truly know what the gains or losses can be. Member MotoPros got something like 42 hp out of the stock stuff because he works at a shop with a dyno and kept experimenting until he got the max out of it.

Exhaust noise is a be otch. After long freeway hauls my ears ring loudly from wind noise and exhaust tone. I try to use ear plugs but they never stay in place. Need a better way to muff my ears than my exhaust...LOL! :D

• Like 1

Ron....your going to drop some top end power and some off the upper mid range with the Q4...Low end + mid range will still be OK.....

Just a thought......you may want to see how you like the FMF set up before you dump your MrD

M8,  i have a strong feeling that if i do go to a FMF Q4 ill be disappointed with loss of power,  so think im gonna have to scratch this whole idea.

When I had my DRZ, I went from my DG exhaust back to stock for about a week just to see the difference.  The lack of noise was nice for stealthy offroading, but on the road, I really noticed how corked up it was.  Granted, the Q4 will flow better than stock, but you will notice the power difference compared to the open exhaust.

I do lots of road riding now since i converted me S to SM,  so i definately love having the power on road,  im quite happy with the bike at the moment,  very strong for a 400 IMHO. 

Ron. I went from stock to FMF PB/Q4. I liked the FMF system but being the modder I am I tweeked the inner core of it a little. Over all on my bike I have not felt that much of an increase from stock to FMF to MRD. I know there was some but not like what a carb and cams can do. The noise level was just a bit quieter with the FMF over the MRD. Both of which have/had the QC/SA. The FMF is a good flowing exhaust. I feel the main diff is in the jetting and tuning of the engine and exhaust that gives you what you want. Without using a dyno to tune you will never truly know what the gains or losses can be. Member MotoPros got something like 42 hp out of the stock stuff because he works at a shop with a dyno and kept experimenting until he got the max out of it.

Exhaust noise is a be otch. After long freeway hauls my ears ring loudly from wind noise and exhaust tone. I try to use ear plugs but they never stay in place. Need a better way to muff my ears than my exhaust...LOL! :D

Thanks for the info,   i have the same exact issue,  while doing longer road rides,  its just so loud,  especially doing 80+ for long stretches like you have to do out here on the freeway,  its very loud,  its so loud i cant even hear me helmet speakers... 

But,  if i lose performance ill be pissed,  and i know the MRD is great,  guess ill stay with it,   the other thing i really like about me MRD shorty is that it does not stick out,  the FMF systems go out all the way tot he license plate almost,  not a fan of that look. 

• Like 4