Sign in to follow this  

Xr600 starts and dies after removing choke plate, why?

I didn't want to nuke my motor so I took it out tonight and now it starts then wants to die but I can keep it going if I hit the gas. What wrong, any ideas? Is this choke plate stock or an aftermarket? Should I worry about it or just put it back in cause it ran fine before I &%$#@!ed with it.....damn I knew I shouldn't have touched it but possibly saved a motor..

1407892086338.jpg

that is the stock plate,that cracks at the bottom and is sucked into the engine.,you want pics of what happens when they fail??????????

Did you remove the choke plate shaft,is it still intact and not out of place,,if it falls out of place it`ll cause a nasty vacuum leak.

Start it up,give it throttle till it warms up a few minutes......if it runs fine then the reason it`s running bad is because it needs an aftermarket plate installed.....XR`S ONLY makes them..some people run them without a plate,i think it needs one even if just used a couple of minutes..

If it never runs good,,even after a short run,then clean the carb,,,you disturbed some dirt somewhere..

Either way get an aftermarket choke plate comin..

B

Edited by brianhare

The choke is before the slide, if the shaft is missing it won't cause a vacuum leak, but it will suck a lot of dirt in through the holes in the carb body because it's after the filter.

The engine need some type of fuel enrichment when cold, just buy the the XR'S Only plate. It's a good piece , I have one, it's worth the money.

That was not a bad idea to take the stock one out in the meantime.

I never needed the choke before, it started 1 kick every time and if it didn't its my fault. But today has been the coldest day since I had the bike, really rainy and cold. But that's why. Figured it wouldn't matter if I removed it cause it ran so well I never choked it anyways, but can I just remove the little spring and thin flap? That way it would be less likely to fail till I can get the money for a new one

Oh and the shaft seems to be in there fine, I tried to wiggle it and it wouldn't budge, just unbolted the plate and off she came off and shaft seemed to want to stay

Yup...i was thinking wrong,,the choke shaft is after the slide on the air filter side,won`t cause a vac leak,,i was thinking throttle plate shaft fot some reason on that last night.. :banghead: ..... :lol:

B

It's normal for engines to need a choke when cold starting, otherwise chokes wouldn't have been invented. You can bandaid the situation by running an extra rich pilot jet and adjusting the fuel screw to max rich when starting.

An aftermarket choke plate isn't very expensive. Or, make your own from a scrap of aluminum plate. Use the original one as a template to get the external dimensions correct. It's not a high precision part.

Ain't got materials or the tools to do or the green at the moment so I guess she will survive till I get a plate, thanks for the help anyways. I just didn't think about it that it was a cold rainy day, hence why i did it then. Today's going to be a lot warmer so I will give it a try

Figured out why it wouldn't run right, one boot may had been loose on cylinder to carb boot and probably the main culprit was the crank case filter, it looked like death, just straight black... dipped her in some gas and looks good as new. Left it off while I test started it and she purred liked a kitten, cheers! The previous owner didnt take good care of this obviously, when I got it the oil was black, the brake fluid was black(he claimed to have flushed it....I call BS), rear sprocket are missing teeth, chain is old and crappy, and I swear to god the clutch electrocutes me every now and then.... its messed up, but I gotta say she runs excellent which is what counts

1407947957450.jpg