Sign in to follow this  

2000 ktm 300 mxc problems

I bought a 2000 ktm 300 mxc about a month ago. when i bought it it didn't idle, and it spit splooge out of the exhaust. the bike just doesn't sound sharp like any of my other two strokes. the guy i purchased it from said "it started running bad one day and then i lost interest." i rebuilt the top end, repacked the silencer, cleaned the carb, and tried adjusting the fuel mixture ratio (40:1). After all that it still doesn't run right the only difference is its not spitting splooge out of the exhaust. the jetting is set to my altitude. any ideas on what my problem is?

Sounds like the same problem I am having with my '05 300 exc.... I am stumped on mine. I hope someone can help figure it out, as I will be following this thread.

What's the plug look like?

The idle and air screw have absolutely no effect, or just barely?

Edited by MaybeMe

the plug is new and has the right gap. if the idle or air screw have effected the bike at all i haven't noticed. it just dies right after you let off the throttle even when the idle screws all the way in. the air screw is at stock setting 1 1/2 turns out i've tried 2 turns out but there is no difference.

desribe more about cleaning the carb, did you clean out the holes in the jets? What size jets are in it? Could be ignition-is the CDI box on the left side of the steering head crushed or cracked?

Edited by Mike in Fresno

the reeds are fine i've checked them before and i did again. i took out the jets and cleaned the holes several times. i don't know the jet sizes i've never checked the guy i bought it from said they worked fine in our altitude in previous years. i checked the cdi box it is not crushed or cracked. how do you run a compression test on the motor? this might be my problem i haven't tested it yet.

it doesn't hit the powerband 80% of the time. it sounds loaded up and the idle and air mixture screw have no effect what so ever.

Hmm.. Just curious have you tried opening up the powervalve view port on the side of the cylinder to check if it is functioning? Your observation of it not hitting the powerband 80% of the time could possibly be a powervalve issue since it seems like you have gone through the carb enough times..

i went to check if the powervalve was working like Connor_ferk1 suggested. for some reason it started right up and ran perfectly. it idled and didn't sound loaded up. then i turned it off to open the gate so i could test it on the street. when i went back to kick it, it wouldn't start! what the heck!?! does anybody know what happened???? i can't figure it out. its happened twice so far while i've had this bike, this being the 2nd. the first time it happened the bike took about fifty kicks to start. after that it went back to the original problems. has anybody ever had this happen before?

This has happened to me on my 01 200exc. Same issues you are having. Turned out to be 2 things; 1.) bad water pump seal and bearing causing coolant in engine 2.) powervalve arm went off track of the linkage that connects it to the powervalve assembly actually cocking it half way opened. Causing it to load up like you said. Start eliminating possibilities one by one. Fuel spark and compression (I know it sounds repetitive) get it started and start checking pv. Could have an issue with float / fuel petcock. Take fuel line off of carb and turn fuel on and see if it is constantly running out. Start there and see what you find