Sign in to follow this  

How tall are you and what bar bend do you run?

So today I was jumping a gravel road by my house (ya i know not a lot of tracks around here) and it requires me to be way forward on the bike in order to keep the nose down when airborne. However I was finding it very difficult to get in this position without the feeling like I was going to blow over the handlebars when I hit the face of the 'jump'. I somehow think that a higher bend would fix this. I just don't feel like I have the room I need sometimes when doing technical maneuvers on my bike in general. My ride is a 2006 crf250r btw. I have really been focusing on proper technique and suspension lately and am seeing rewards. Don't want to let handles bars hold me Bach. However I sometimes feel that it's just me sometimes. I am about 5 foot 10 in . I don't even see that being tall enoughf for a high bend bar. Don't know what to think? So I'm wondering what y'all run.

So today I was jumping a gravel road by my house (ya i know not a lot of tracks around here) and it requires me to be way forward on the bike in order to keep the nose down when airborne. However I was finding it very difficult to get in this position without the feeling like I was going to blow over the handlebars when I hit the face of the 'jump'. I somehow think that a higher bend would fix this. I just don't feel like I have the room I need sometimes when doing technical maneuvers on my bike in general. My ride is a 2006 crf250r btw. I have really been focusing on proper technique and suspension lately and am seeing rewards. Don't want to let handles bars hold me Bach. However I sometimes feel that it's just me sometimes. I am about 5 foot 10 in . I don't even see that being tall enoughf for a high bend bar. Don't know what to think? So I'm wondering what y'all run.

You could just try risers for $20.00 http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/982/25849/Tusk-Handlebar-Riser-Kit

Ride an 05 CFR250R. I'm 5' 11" 170ish lbs running stock risers and ProTaper CR HI bars.

I really like them rotated forward +2 to center of risers as posted above

its easy to take a wrench with you and try different rotated forward postion's until you find something your like.

As well on my 05 with the stock risers, you can rotate the risers 180% which moves the handle bars 6mm forward. (stock position is 3mm forward)

Not to hijack this thread with suspension stuff but.........

IMO - Suspension set-up on our bikes is KEY. First make sure you have both sag's set correctly, then set both front/rear suspension clickers to stock and record this.

As look at the top of your forks in the triple clamps. On our bike's the top of the forks have a line about 5mm from the top. IMO I would make sure you can JUST see the line on both forks first. Small changes in fork hight makes a HUGE difference is geometry.

Sags are a one time setting then make small adjustments and record for your suspension

Edited by filterx

well I ordered the 15 mm risers. Rotating the bars in the clamps would make it worse imo. I have them orientated right noew so that they are in the highest possible position . Rotating them would bring them down. But closer to me yes. Hopefully the risers don't make it a pain in the ass to get my elbows up in corners.

My race sag is one thing I've been meaning to check. Set it about 6 years ago then haven't checked it since

well I ordered the 15 mm risers. Rotating the bars in the clamps would make it worse imo. I have them orientated right noew so that they are in the highest possible position . Rotating them would bring them down. But closer to me yes. Hopefully the risers don't make it a pain in the ass to get my elbows up in corners.

My race sag is one thing I've been meaning to check. Set it about 6 years ago then haven't checked it since

Not sure if this pic relect's my bar rotated forward position. I'll assume you have them rotated forward since this will move them higher. I find this works really well in tight single track and generally opens up my body position. Not totally sure how this effects hitting jump faces. At some point if you rotate to far forward, they will in fact lower.

This is just my 2 cents but even with installing risers, you want to have your bars rotated forward enough that your not cramping your self on the bike.

With my bike on flat ground and vertical, its 49" from the ground to the center of my grip if this helps in any way

20140814_154438.jpg

Just click on my link below for Ozark Mountain Trailriders and then click "Places to Ride" I have scanned in a map if you want to check it out.

[ December 13, 2001: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

What does it change when you lower you forks in the triple clamps. What changes do you notice in you ride?

lowering your fork will shorten the wheel base. good for tight stuff but you'll lose a bit of high speed stability. make this change with care.

id be interested though slightly, to hear if you tried bar rotation BEFORE installing the rises

lowering your fork will shorten the wheel base. good for tight stuff but you'll lose a bit of high speed stability. make this change with care.

id be interested though slightly, to hear if you tried bar rotation BEFORE installing the rises

I use to run my bars rotated way back the first 3 to 4 years I had the bike so yes, but anyway my static shock sag is 45mm. And i noticed the rear shock just feels &%$#@!ed. I can push on the seat and it literally does not compress. I am hoping it's just because I have the clickers so tight to make up for my out of speck sag. I am guess this is my primary problem. I've got a lot of work to do. But the risers are one the way so I'm gonna give them a shot anyway.