Sign in to follow this  

Hello! What are these parts?!

First of all, hello there! I just bought my first dirtbike a week ago. It's a 2005 YZ250F that had a seized rod. I've worked on street bikes for years now so figured I'd give it a go.

I apologize for my first post being a, "HELP ME!" post but I'm stumped!

I bought a new cylinder (when the rod seized, the piston smacked the cylinder wall scoring it pretty badly), top and bottom end kits, and a new cam chain because i'd heard they break often on these little things.

Anyway, in delicately banging the cases apart I noticed two pieces that fell out and I have no idea where they came from. I'm really hoping you gurus can point me in the right direction before I go scouring parts fiches trying to find it.

Here's the first:

t8W6gasl.jpg

And here's the second:

yxaPMP6l.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

• Like 1

Spring a detent for the neutral safety switch.  If you forgot them you can remove the neutral sensor on the side of the motor by the shifter.  You will see the end of the shift drum and a small hole on one side of it - spring first, then detent with round end sticking out.  With out the parts the sensor will not work basically same as if you had a neutral block of plate.  Not a big deal. Finish your motor , you can install later after its in the frame. 

• Like 1

Lotus 241 is correct, but the screws that hold the netural switch in place are loctited and will most likely strip out. Grab the head of the screws with a pair of vice grips to break the screws loose

• Like 1

Wonderful! I've not reassembled the motor yet because I didn't want to leave these out. I know exactly where you guys are talking about so I'll toss them in tonight when I work on this more.

Thank you so much for the help!