Sign in to follow this  

warrior or trx

Been riding dirt bikes for a while wanting to get out of dirt bikes and into quads. I'm tossed between warrior 350 or trx 400 or 450 has anybody heard any problems with either of them? Mainly worried about common motor problem. Thanks for

Your input

Well I would suggest a Trx 400ex? Maybe a 450. Try to test ride some and see what fits your riding style. What are you planning on riding? Track or trail or dunes?

I'm more of a trail rider not big into mudding. Just ripping around you know. Have you heard anything bad about those trx

The 400ex? From what I've heard they are 110% bulletproof. Change the oil and keep gas in it and your set. Sort of like my ttr... Anyways as far as a 450 a friend has one and they are a lot of fun but a 400ex IMO would be fine. And also an lt-z 400 is a great option.

A 450 is a little faster but more maintenance as well. Like, quite a bit. I say go for the 400ex, they're much tougher and not a whole lot slower. They're great bikes. 

Ya I wanna take a break from

Rebuild stuff all the time haha. I heard the warriors motor are basically indestructible. Has anyone heard any problems with those 400

Ex??

You said you like trails so I'd say the 400EX. If you plan to do a mix of track and trails, get the 450. The power most likely will be easy to adjust to. I rode a Outlaw 525 when I was nine. It was fun just being able to touch the throttle and take off.

Ya I'm leaning more towards the 400 ex. I don't think I'll do any track stuff. Mainly some long trail rides. Have you heard anything about the suzuki ltz 400?? I heard the like 2003's have weak frames but I'm worried about motor problems. I've been working on my two stroke dirt bike for the whole summer and don't wanna do that again :(

The 400ex is a fantastic quad, and would suit you perfectly. the LTZ/KFX 400 is a good machine as well, however the TRX has proved to be more reliable to me than most machines I've owned.

Get a 400ex had one for years, never did any maintenance... Topped off the oil when a little low, filled with gas then just rode the crap out of it...

Good old honda reliability eh those things never die!! Thank you guys very much for all the advice. Has deffinatly helped me in making a decision. So now I wait until I can get some more pennies saved up and should be riding next spring :D

If you still haven't bought one in a few weeks I'll let you know how good Warriors are. I just traded my mower for one and my buddy is gonna order the crank and gasket kit and we're gonna put it back together, so I'll let you know how I like it.

What's your budget?

Just curious because the 400EX did not have reverse until 2005. Not really a big deal but it is nice in the trails sometimes.

I've had a 400EX and a Z400. The Z was faster, it definitely pulled harder on the top end. The 400EX felt like it had more torque right off idle but runs out of steam a little up top. It's still plenty fast out in the woods just different.

I've never ridden a warrior, but I've even seen die hard Yamaha guys recommend a 400EX over them. Not that they are bad but people say the power is more comparable to a 300EX, and the handling isn't quite as good.

Like it was mentioned above though, the 400EX is basically just gas and go. They run forever, so do Warriors.

The LTZ400 requires a little more attention. It is DOHC and has shim under bucket valves like a 450. The frames are supposedly weaker the first couple years, but I had an 03 and had no issues.

The 450's will require more maintenance than any of the above, but should be reliable enough if taken care of.

If buying second hand, I think the safest move is a 400EX but any machine could be neglected.

Edited by JFortner5

I had a warrior for a while, I went 300ex/warrior/400ex/450r.... Each time it just got a little bit better lol. Love the 450ER with the HRC kit installed ect but it is more maintenance over the 400ex or any of the others really... Just like the dirtbike variants the race motors need more attention...

I'm looking to spend 2500 but I'd go to 3000 if it's super clean! Reverse is deffinatly nice to have. I have in on my sled and it so nice to have when u need it. Ya I was doing some research and people are saying those ltz need some top end work from time to time only I've found with the 400 ex is just adjust the valves and the odd head gasket but other that bullet proof. And that's exactly it like you said Jem 450 r just a little more maintenance which I don't mind and have the skill set but it's more what did the owner before neglect to do and then problems compound and your stuck with a bucket haha

Used to have a Warrior and rode it with a guy that had a 400 ex. Both bulletproof trail quads but neither are even close to the same breed as any 450 quad. If your just wanting to trail ride go either warrior or 400 ex, but if your budgets 3000 you could find lots of 450s in that price range. 450s make good trail quads aswell I have a kfx 450 now.