Sign in to follow this  

2002 400e bog.. high idle on choke

Im sure this has been asked 1000 times.

Have an 02 400e.. completly stock. Bought it needed carb service. Replaced jets gaskets and seat o ring...

155main

45 pilot

65 starter

Cant remeber leak jets size but r stock.

First off when choke is.on.. it idles high. I kno thats what the choke does, but seems higher than it should be compred to choke off....but could be just something new to me

Next issue... is right off idle there is a bog, seems to be worse if ur at low rpm for awhile then crack it, wants to fall on its face. Comes out of it. Runs great rest of the way thru.

Idling in neutral once in awhile it will die, have idle adjustment about maxed out

Fuel scree is 2.5 turns out. Do I need to changed pilot or main jet? Or did i over look something in the carb?

Didnt pay attention to clip position on the needle I forgot.

Btw. Carb is the stock 39 fcr carb.

For starters i would be removing the coast enrichener..It can cause pilot circuit issues on a 12 year old fcr...http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/633998-fcr-ce-removal-which-vacuum-ports-to-cap/

Do the Eddie Mod to address your bogging issues...http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/793050-how-to-eddies-mod-pics/

Adjust the stock OBDXP needle to clip 5 with air box snorkel removed...

So... to remove the CE.. cam the plug on the motor. Cap the two ports on carb and tie the two lines together that would disconnect it?

So... to remove the CE.. cam the plug on the motor. Cap the two ports on carb and tie the two lines together that would disconnect it?

Yes join the 2 ports on the carb with hose if you have a 60 pilot air jet....Cap them if it's got a 100 pilot air jet....

When I had my real E, I did the taffy / collar mod and it helped the off idle bog.  It involves putting a small collar (you can get them at most model shops) on the AP rod to stop it from fully actuating.  I think the Eddie mod might replace the collar mod, but it worked for me.

Why would u want the AP rod from fully actuating? The eddie mod appears that still fully actuates and tied directly to throttle linkage... basically doing the o ring mod we did on our 450 race quads with the fcr mx carb no lag between throttlenopening and fuel spray.. lack of fuel creates a bog

So the ports on the right side need tied together? What about the lines coming from the ce?

Actually the ports are on the LHS....The CE is unbolted and removed from the carb....the 2 x retaining bolts/nuts that secure the CE are pictured below ..They are marked with a red dot..

Use a piece of left over hose to join the carb ports

f0001a68-72a9-4561-bd9b-5f768264a694.jpg

The carb will look like the one shown below after CE is removed..

DSC02524.jpg