Sign in to follow this  

Do Masterlinks interchange?

I've always used rivet masters in recent times. I ordered a Primary Drive chain and sprockets which only came with a clip on link. I guess it comes down to pin diameter. So are master links interchangeable between brands, assuming same chain size and either O-ring or standard chain. I'm thinking I'll either get a spare clip on master, or a rivet on and be done with it.

Thanks, Mike

Been my experience almost all master links vary, at least slightly, in all dimensions. I just buy spares for "my" chain. I also carry a section of chain(at least 4 links or more). Only time they've been used...on some kid's xr250. My spare link banged on the block, in the guide, but got him home.

• Like 2

Yep they vary!

You may want to take your chain and go to a local shop to match up a master.

I've done that a time or two.

But ya. Buy more than one.

If you have spares you never need them, the only part you don't have extra will break.

Lmbo

• Like 2

Yep they vary!

You may want to take your chain and go to a local shop to match up a master.

I've done that a time or two.

But ya. Buy more than one.

If you have spares you never need them, the only part you don't have extra will break.

Lmbo

Bought from Rocky Mountain because this chain/sprocket combo is highly recommended for the KLR, and cheap. But I could find no rivet link or extra clip master link on there site and blew it off because I've never had a problem with clips except on high HP street bikes. Been riveting for 20 years. Guess I'll contact them. Ride distance off road solo and remote and breakdowns could be a big deal.

Mike

• Like 1

They need to match the chains pitch. Find the pitch and match it.

It appears there is more to it than that. Pitch is size, in this case a 520, 5/8" between pins OC, 1/4" wide IS.

Mike

Bought from Rocky Mountain because this chain/sprocket combo is highly recommended for the KLR, and cheap. But I could find no rivet link or extra clip master link on there site and blew it off because I've never had a problem with clips except on high HP street bikes. Been riveting for 20 years. Guess I'll contact them. Ride distance off road solo and remote and breakdowns could be a big deal.

Mike

Every Primary Drive chain has a selection for Master Link at the bottom of the size tab. And you have to pick a size before you can add to cart. Without using the vehicle filter, just find the chain you have (not the kit) and select master link. 

masterlink_zps7fbdf6b9.jpg

Edited by ubu
  • Like 1

Every Primary Drive chain has a selection for Master Link at the bottom of the size tab. And you have to pick a size before you can add to cart. Without using the vehicle filter, just find the chain you have (not the kit) and select master link. 

masterlink_zps7fbdf6b9.jpg

Thanks, couldn't find that. Not too good on computers.

Mike

Edit: Found it, thanks again.

Edited by Flagstaff
  • Like 1