Sign in to follow this  

XR650L first oil change after rebuild

Just wanted to see what the general consensus is regarding what color the oil is following a rebuild. Just finished my 100 mile (160 km) service per the Honda service manual and my oil was pretty much a gray/black color. My first thought is that the Redline assembly lube used in both the bottom and top end caused the significant color change, but I'd feel better knowing that this is a normal part of the break in process.

Using Honda Pro GN4 oil and Honda oil filters exclusively. The service included removal and cleaning of both the downtube screen and bottom end screen. The Sutton was removed and drained as well before adding fresh oil and a new filter.

Silver color is break in metal........and if you bored and/or hone the cylinder that`s normal...

Did you verify oil flow at the banjo bolt,,,did you use those disposable blue paper towels while working on the internals???

I`ve found my downtubew screen full of lint from those towels after a rebuild,,ThumpNRED almost nuked his engine because of this,,just be aware...

the first 1/2 hour sees the most wear metals in the oil,,i dump the oil at least twice in the first few hundred miles..get that wear metal out so the oil pump sees less of it and prevents oil pump wear ..

just change the oil often the first few hundred or so miles..i`ve always done this on any engine i`ve rebuilt..

B

Yup, the cylinder was honed to accept the lower higher compression JE piston (had 11.25, now has 10.5) so it's good to hear that the silver/gray color will become less prominent at the next service. 

Oil flow was verified at the lower and upper banjo twice - during pump priming and at the first (sustained) start. I banished shop towels from my garage after seeing ThumpNRed's experience, and there was very little shop rag lint in the screens (which were cleaned out). Next service interval is at 500 miles per the Service Manual.

Thanks for the reassurance. 

Mike, glad to hear its going again, what ended up being the issue with the starter?

I was too nervous after my rebuild to go the whole 100 miles so I just dumped the oil after doing about 5 warm up/cool down cycles and my oil looked exactly as you described. After that, i did the 100 miles and changed the oil and filters. It was really surprising how much metal was in the oil after only 5 start-ups.

Well I'm not totally out of the woods electrically speaking. Got stranded in SF last Sunday after my Shorai battery presumably decided that since it was the Lord's Day it should take it off too... :lame:  Took about 4 hours on my friend's charger, but I got the bike back home and have an email out to Shorai regarding extended storage and its effect on CCA/charge retention. I also have to perform some diagnostics on the stator/regulator rectifier to determine their health. GOTTA LOVE ELECTRICAL ISSUES!

As for the starter, I found that my brushes were at the low end of the spec and the isolating plastic nut on the post had disintegrated and was grounding out the circuit. Got a rebuild kit off Amazon and performed some other diagnostics on the armature as well just to be certain there wasn't an internal fault.  

Edited by BadIdeaMike
  • Like 1