Bicycle to Moto carryover

I rode mx when in my teens/20s, mtb, road, and cross since then (pushing 20 years) and tried trials motorcycles last summer.  IMO going from XC MTB to trials motorcycles is pretty easy.  Trials bikes are so light and easy to ride, they feel almost closer to a bicycle than to an mx bike. I haven't spent any time on trials bicycles though so can't offer any comparisons there.

I can't resist asking. I have boiled it down to a 2011 beta 200, a 2004 gas gas 300 txt pro and a 2007 gas gas 250 txt pro. The beta has been ridden a lot by a guy in his 50s that bought it new and competes a lot. New top end. It looks good but ridden, the guy bought a new one. The gas gas look new minus a couple scratches. I want a gas gas because they look like new bikes but think I would likely do better on the beta as a newb. Wishful thinking tells me the mx and trials bicycle riding narrows the gap. All are about $3k. Tell me like it is. I want to be a good rider foremost.

Yes the carry over between bicycle and moto is there and its a big advantage especially in technical sections...With regard to actual trials moves you have to get used to using the throttle to aid your body movements

And a clutch!

I can't resist asking. I have boiled it down to a 2011 beta 200, a 2004 gas gas 300 txt pro and a 2007 gas gas 250 txt pro. The beta has been ridden a lot by a guy in his 50s that bought it new and competes a lot. New top end. It looks good but ridden, the guy bought a new one. The gas gas look new minus a couple scratches. I want a gas gas because they look like new bikes but think I would likely do better on the beta as a newb. Wishful thinking tells me the mx and trials bicycle riding narrows the gap. All are about $3k. Tell me like it is. I want to be a good rider foremost.

300s are for experts and trail riders (and high altitude), and I think there are substantial differences between an 04 and an 07.

Edited by motovita

I am the one that is showing Pitbull, how to ride.

He bought a 300 raga, and some will state that it is too much bike, for experts etc.  but where we both live, bike is a bike.  I actually argue that the 300 for many years easier HP to manage than the 280, but the "margins" we're talking about is negligible for newbie.

Special case, IMHO, this guy came to my farm, dad and I watched him ride our 2006 125 which has the 225 kit in place, we have (without making him blush I hope) high hopes for this guy!  He then rode my dad's 2013 300 Raga.  unlike some beginners, and some 'crossover' riders, he did NOT exibit a problem with coordination of clutch nor wiskey throttle, hence he was allowed to try dad's raga...

He'll be fine on the big bike, like I have said anywhere you have read my posts (adv and TC) not everyone needs a 300, but since most of us started on 250 2 strokes back in the day that 300 isnt a big step up like a 500cc 2 stroke MX/dirt bike is.

He is looking into a lower compression head for the 300, I think that is wise yet for him not necessary at all, and a flywheel weight.  

next event for us is at AVTA (douglass ks) avtatrials.com is website, and I expect if he's working on basic turns, he's gonna make some people amazed and wow's about his talents in trials...  (I have warned him, DO NOT HOP that thing in NOVICE/beginner class at competitions, lol, I can hear the rest whining now...  even if it costs him points trying it)  Hehehe.

but again I cannot stress enough, basic balance, turns, throttle with clutch control, time on bike, and that elusive at first, "clutch feel" is going to challenge him, any new for a couple to 8 months...  My teenager friend is still working on the same things, and wins the Amature class most of the time...  1.5 years seat (aka peg) time on trials bike, before that just quads...

Edited by sting32