Sign in to follow this  

06kx450f not wanting to start after new top end

Hey guys. Got my bike all together and it's really hard to kick. Did a wiseco 12:5:1 piston and had the head reworked. Will only start if the fuel is turned on then right back off but only run for a second or two. Timing appears to be set back perfect but just doesn't wanna kick start. Any suggestions will help!!!

Hey guys. Got my bike all together and it's really hard to kick. Did a wiseco 12:5:1 piston and had the head reworked. Will only start if the fuel is turned on then right back off but only run for a second or two. Timing appears to be set back perfect but just doesn't wanna kick start. Any suggestions will help!!!

Other than the timing (assume you mean cam timing) what have you checked? 

Yes. Just re shimed all valves and checked cam timing. It looked lie it's the carb

Yes. Just re shimed all valves and checked cam timing. It looked lie it's the carb

The fact that you have to turn the fuel on and then off to get it to run, suggests a stuffed needle or seat.

Cant hurt to give the carby a clean and inspection.

I'll do that tonight then. I'll let you guys know tomorrow. Thanks for the replies

It's the timing Guys. I have no idea where to start in resetting it please help

rockymoutain mc has some great videos on stuff like that. look up top end rebuild and it should be part 2 on the video showing reasembly and how to time it

Do you have the service manual? There's one page you must read.

When the cam cover is removed and gently turning over the motor, you can see if the decompression device is working.

This is the page you need to read.

CamsInstall06.png

And this page shows why those little oil tubes bridging the cam journals are so important.

KX450F-lube-feed.png

Edited by numroe

I'm getting oil all the way up top. But the auto-decompression does not work when turned by hand.