Sign in to follow this  

I keep hearing people

Say that a race bikes shouldn't idle? How is that even possible? I have a rmz450 that I ride trails with and im usually on the clutch,therefore its idleing.. What problems does it cause? Should I look into buying parts now? I'm confused..

1407928296039.jpg

Think that "shouldn't idle" thing goes back to when people didn't like to use kill switches for fear of them failing and shutting the bike off mid race. So they just turned the idle down to where the bike wouldn't run unless they held the throttle open a bit. Fine for moto, not so much for woods riding. Go ahead and set your idle like normal, it's all track hoopla from days past.

• Like 2

That's an old 2 stroke lie that is told by those who don't know how to jet properly.

It's not really a lie, its just the nature of the older less refined carbs from back in the day when the only race bikes were smokers. If you set them up to idle, they'd run lean at part throttle settings. With the advent of better carbs like the Keihin PWK, it went away for the most part. As far as I know, its never been true for modern thumpers with the FCR carbs either.

• Like 2

That's an old 2 stroke lie that is told by those who don't know how to jet properly.

Not true at all, my mid 80's RM125's &250's did not have an idle screw on their carbs.

Funny my 85 and 86 rm's both had them as well as my 79 rm/pe. The 86 was set up to not idle when I got it, but was no problem to get it to idle.

Its funny the myths that float around like my friend he has a yz85 and his dad say "omg you cant trail ride that bike! It needs to be run at full throttle and max revs or it will blow up!" Ya mhhmm

Its funny the myths that float around like my friend he has a yz85 and his dad say "omg you cant trail ride that bike! It needs to be run at full throttle and max revs or it will blow up!" Ya mhhmm

Maybe it'll foul plugs if it's running rich...

Advantages of riding with a helmet and a loud pipe.  Then you don’t hear people for what the hell do they know??????