Sign in to follow this  

How to make dampening rod holder tool for crf 150r

How did u make a tool to hold the dampening rod to take the bottom bolt out of the forks when changing fork seals? Please crf 150r only pictures would be nice if u can.

Edited by jend864

You don't need one. Just leave the springs in and use a impact wrench. If you need more tension on the dr, compress the forks.

Get a hammer driven impact driver for about $15. I've got one I've had for years. It's a life saver when you need it.

Or, you can use a breaker bar, and hit it smartly with a hammer, but it helps to have an extra set of hands to hold everything in alignment.

Edit: here's a thread that you might find helpful:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1097858-crf-150r-fork-seal-replacement-help/

Edited by Old Plonker

There is not tool that gets more use on a dirt bike than a impact wrench. I bought a craftsman back in college. Best tool I ever bought. Now you can get cordless ones for driving screws.

Why would you need to take the bottom bolt out to replace fork seals?

I guess you could fish the seals out, buts it's easier to use the forks as a slide hammer to knock them out. To do that you have to remove the damper rod.

Even with the impact it just spins the whole thing and still doesn't come off.

Did you try this?

You don't need one. Just leave the springs in and use a impact wrench. If you need more tension on the dr, compress the forks.

However, you may need extra hands to compress the fork leg while using the impact wrench.

Or, you could go in from the top of the fork leg and try the 3/4" square tube trick:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1097858-crf-150r-fork-seal-replacement-help/

I compress the fork and let the impact go and it just keeps spinning

Find some steel rod that will go through the axle hole. Stand the fork on it's cap. Get two big friends, one on either side, to compress the sh*t out of the fork leg while you whack away on your impact driver with a 5 lb. hammer. If it doesn't pop loose with that, take it to your dealer or a trusted mechanic.

Matt,

Do you have any idea what might have gone wrong that he wasn't able to engage the 3/4" square tube with the spring perch?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1097858-crf-150r-fork-seal-replacement-help/?p=11788344

Honestly, I don't know. I had a private conversation with the OP, but couldn't figure out why he couldn't get it to work with his bike. One of those situations I'd have to see for myself.

Honestly, I don't know. I had a private conversation with the OP, but couldn't figure out why he couldn't get it to work with his bike. One of those situations I'd have to see for myself.

I know what you mean. In a similar situation, I had a friend ask me for help over the phone, and I just couldn't see his problem in my mind. I went over to his garage and found that he was using an allen wrench on a torx bolt, and had stripped it out. The wrench was spinning but the bolt wasn't. Sigh.

Nothing works I don't know why, and that's it I give up just gonna bring it to the shop to get them fixed I can't wait any longer. Thanks for the help

I have always just removed the top fork cap, removed the seal retaining clip then pull the tubes apart.