Sign in to follow this  

Mr12 question.

So I have a stock bike that I race competitively. Only thing I have done to it is a full yoshi exhaust and I'm getting a pim2 for it. And I use t4 race fuel which is 100 octane. I know that mr12 is 93 octane witch is closer to what the Manuel calls for, I think. Can I run mr12 in a stock motor? Or would I have to remap? Or is it only for modded engines?

You can run it in your engine , but you do have to add fuel to the whole map. I believe it's some where around 5 percent. A proper dyno tune would get it spot on though.

Are you wanting to run MR12 just to be closer to the factory recommended octane level?  At $150 for 5 gallons you'll be throwing your money away using it in a stock bike.  I'd recommend you stick with the T4.

I agree with slorider, T4 is a great unleaded oxygenated fuel. If anything, I would stick with that and get a remap for it and your intake/exhaust combo. I would skip the PIM2, not necessary.

Edited by Eddie8v

I agree MR12 is ridiculessly expensive , but it will give the most power out of your stock motor.

Company's like Bazzaz make add on controlers, that with a laptop, you can adjust the whole fuel map.

Others here would probably know if you could adjust the stock ECU.

Edited by bucket list

t4 is good but i believe its too high of a octane for my motor. i noticed when i run it in there i hear some ticking. price really doesn't bother me. i ran a little bit of my buddy's mr12 in my bike (and by a little bit i mean about a soda can and a half worth if that makes any sense) because i was out of fuel and i remember the ticking went away. can i adjust the stock ecu or can i buy another one? 

What's wrong with just good ol pump? Especially on a stock engine....

I read in another post he started, that he can't get decent premium non ethynol pump gas around his area. We are fortunate around here in British Columbia, Canada.

Still, you gott'a like the way bikes run on MR12 , It's like crack for bikes!!!!!

Edited by bucket list

Okay awesome. Do you know where I can find that tool?

And yea, can't get any premium gas with no ethanol around here. It sucks. And I'm not running that ethanol crap through my bike anymore lol

Ethanol is an oxygenator, so the pump gas isn't that bad, really, as long as you can keep any solid contaminants from getting into the tank.

Edited by Eddie8v

Ethanol is an oxygenator, so the pump gas isn't that bad, really, as long as you can keep any solid contaminants from getting into the tank.

I remember that has already happend to him, having a plugged fuel filter, and i have heard through the many auto seminars, with experts in there field, that ethanol fuel has a lower BTU's then a non ethanol fuel of the same octane. Hence lower power.

Plugged fuel filter has nothing to do with the ethanol. It's the dirt that regularly comes out of the pump gas pumps that is the culprit. Pump a few 5gal cans full of pump gas and check the bottom for debris, you'll be astonished.

A BIG help for all of us is to NEVER dump that last quarter-half gallon of fuel into your bike as that's where all the sediment/contaminants are, at the bottom of your fuel jug... dump that stuff into a glass container and you'll see what I mean.

You'll notice a very slightly lower power output unless you richen the mapping, but that's pretty much not gonna be noticed by any of us... twist the throttle a percent or two more to make up for the difference.

T4 is oxygenated with Ethanol, btw, and it makes more power than pump gas... MR12 uses MTBE to oxygenate, which is banned in many places.

I remember that has already happend to him, having a plugged fuel filter, and i have heard through the many auto seminars, with experts in there field, that ethanol fuel has a lower BTU's then a non ethanol fuel of the same octane. Hence lower power.

Edited by Eddie8v

Plugged fuel filter has nothing to do with the ethanol. It's the dirt that regularly comes out of the pump gas pumps that is the culprit. Pump a few 5gal cans full of pump gas and check the bottom for debris, you'll be astonished.

A BIG help for all of us is to NEVER dump that last quarter-half gallon of fuel into your bike as that's where all the sediment/contaminants are, at the bottom of your fuel jug... dump that stuff into a glass container and you'll see what I mean.

You'll notice a very slightly lower power output, but that's pretty much not gonna be noticed by any of us... twist the throttle a percent or two more to make up for the difference.

Yea,i agree with you. Does any one know where the OP can pickup the setting tool for the ECU, the one we got for our CBR's , my son got from HRC in Belgim.

Yea I know what you mean Eddie. And from where I'm from all that sediment from the pumps is horrible.

I want to run the race gas for a more consistent/cleaner burn and just cause if what I've heard from people, is better for your engine

I do sorta still wanna run mr12 though. Just cause I don't like the ticking the t4 gives my engine

• Like 1

T4 shouldn't make your engine tick. Maybe you have a leak in your exhaust system that's exacerbated by the slower burn of the higher-octane fuel...

Edited by Eddie8v

At the header-to-head joint there's a little bronze crush hoop/seal, try tightening the header nuts if they're loose. Maybe your seal is missing. Also, it could be a cracked header pipe. The joint between the header and muffler is another common leaking spot.

You could also have an internal motor issue developing... Remove & inspect your oil filter for metallic debris.

Edited by Eddie8v