Sign in to follow this  

looking for my first bike...

Hey all, I am most likely going to be buying a street bike within the next couple months. I know this particular question exists all over the internet, but I wanted to ask a few particular questions about title transfers in PA since I have only ever transferred titles on cars between myself and my parents. Is there anything in particular to look out for when transferring a bike title? Also, does the seller need to be present at the notary during sale? I already inquired about insurance with my insurance company. Any advice on doing this would be very appreciated, because I have heard horror stories about title issues with bikes in PA especially (pretty much everywhere on the internet!) Thank you guys!

Hey all, I am most likely going to be buying a street bike within the next couple months. I know this particular question exists all over the internet, but I wanted to ask a few particular questions about title transfers in PA since I have only ever transferred titles on cars between myself and my parents. Is there anything in particular to look out for when transferring a bike title? Also, does the seller need to be present at the notary during sale? I already inquired about insurance with my insurance company. Any advice on doing this would be very appreciated, because I have heard horror stories about title issues with bikes in PA especially (pretty much everywhere on the internet!) Thank you guys!

Seller needs to sign in front of the notary, that's the whole purpose. Around here some have the title presigned and notorized. Works good to do the whole transaction at the buyers bank, a notary is likely to be there and the seller can get cash or a certified check you know is good.

Mike

In PA its always a good idea to meet for the transfer at a Notary office or Title office to have the paperwork done properly. If its a bike thats sat idle for a few yrs & not been on the road,it would be a good idea to grab the VIN & match it with the bike in question & have a VIN inspect done to make sure you arent buying a salvaged or stolen machine. I just got thru something similar with a project bike I just bought (off Craigslist). Guy selling it bought it 4 yrs ago & never transfered it into his name, rode on the original owners plates until they expired & then just parked it for 3yrs. Thank god I found the original owner & had him get me a duplicate title so I could get it into my name & his plates back to him.