Sign in to follow this  

Beta Rear Shock options

Right..

What shock will fi the rear end of a beta 250rr 2t with minor mods?

I can't seem to get a positive answer.

I spoke to someone who had gone the latest crf 450 shock route, but it was rubbing on the swingarm.?!

KTM?

I can' afford to buy a pukka Beta shock (Like the FOX Podium ).

Thanks

Right..

I spoke to someone who had gone the latest crf 450 shock route, but it was rubbing on the swingarm.?!

KTM?

Thanks

i don't think that there is a straight fit from another bike (unless it is a SACHS shock and again maybe...) so if you cannot afford an aftermarket unit, maybe its better to improve (re-valve) the SACHS.

I can't see any -calculated- gains by switching to a WP or kYB.

• Like 3

Right..

KTM?

Thanks

What kind of Beta do you have? What kind of riding are you doing? What are the problems with what you have? What have you done to your current shock so far to address it ? Or do you just want to put on another shock just to try?.. To me I'd just save up and get the fox podium shock.. or just revalve the sachs. How much can you save with going japanese and then still revalving plus trying to address fit.. If you want the Podium I think you should just get it. ..but really I don't see anything wrong with the Sachs. I think you aren't finding a positive answer because a lot here are going ..Why??? I think there are Ohlins too right? ..but I don't know how much more or less expensive and also how much better or worse. 

Here's another point of reference.. not that the level of improvement may warrant the prices.. All very expensive but if you haven't revalved?

http://www.beta.boano.com/index.asp?cat=12&sottocat=2

http://shop.americanbeta.com/p/fox-rc3-high-performance-race-shock/accessories_rr-rs_2014-rr-2-stroke_chassis_suspension?pp=12

c886eb6e71a1916bd38f7b9681b33c15.jpg?139  a grand plus shipping?..maybe a spring?  I can't find other japanese suspension switches threads yet..

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

I know a couple of guys who race in the Italian championship and they ride the stock shock revalved.

I got mine revalved from the same guy (of course a more soft setup) and works very well. He said, in his opinion, the sachs have a good response, the only minus is about service, usually last less than Ohlins or japanese shocks.

BTW in an old discussion with the same subject i remember someone wrote Honda and KTM sx could be fitted with minor modifications.

Edited by iceman kimi
  • Like 3

Right..

KTM?

Thanks

When the dust clears from buying a used shock, having it revalved & sprung, you are at 60%+ of a Fox shock, which most on say are better than a Ohlins. There are places that sell them in the $850.00 on sale USA prices if ya look.

Yet the stock Sachs "IF" tuned correctly by a knowledgeable tuner that has worked with them a lot is very good unless you are a "A" class rider, and if you are, then you want a Fox anyway....

Ok, gotta ask, what's a "pukka" ???

• Like 2

Pukka would be a term for First class or High quality. 

So what are the differences in the rear Sachs between the 12-13-14 ?

I had a TTX shock off 12' 250sx on my 250rr for a while, that was before I found the bigger issue was the Sachs fork.

The Ohlins is the exact same length, I had to sand the top space/mount a mm or two and bottom clevis is a little wider, a washer on each side was perfect.     

Iv'e put Ohlins shock on everything I've owned since the TTX shock came out, Iv'e never had one revalved, they have enough adjustment to moto or hammer rock gardens, I put the Sachs back on because I'm fiddling with s ATP Smart carb and it barely fits with the stock shock and the Ohlins spring has a larger od.  

Seemed to me Stillwell said they were using a KX450 shock in the beginning on the Betas.

Right..

KTM?

Thanks

FWIW. Factory riders I've been told from a reliable source use the Sachs shock. My latest Beta Sachs shock has a bladder conversion. Big hard hits like  wheelying uphill log slams are a cake walk.

Edited by widebear
  • Like 1

Why are the good guys so far away???

..as far away as your mailbox..and your phone.. costs more for shipping though.. It is always nice to look a guy in the face and see the shop too if possible .. but not necessary. If I didn't feel comfortable with my mechanic locally I probably would call LT. .. but there are a few guys locally that are racetech techs also that are known for doing decent suspension work..  I rode a Beta 250 that my dealer rode in the King of the Motoz . It had a stillwell prepared sachs shock and fork set up for someone 280 lbs. It worked great for my dealer who is  easily around 260 lbs. He was doing well in the race and said the bike worked excellent. I keep wondering how horrible the sachs fork and shock are that guys seem to feel it's necessary to change.. I guess I'd have to try one with japanese suspension to see what the fuss is about. As for me I'm liking the stock suspension for now and will just upgrade the sachs shock and fork later. There's nothing wrong with those to me. They work excellent for me so far. Maybe at some time when I ride , the stock sachs front and back, the ohlins, The Fox shock, a variety of japanese forks and shocks, showa, kyb.. then I may know the difference for sure.  ..but for now I'm lucky I'm happy with what I have so far. If there's any major flaw on my bike... it's me. My bike far outperforms the owner/rider..  If I were to send away I'd go to stillwell and get the same 280 lb setup my dealer had. I rode trails with it and it was still very nice for going slow. ..and I know it handles very well for some desert speed along with technical stuff too. . I'm around 6'1" and 230 and I liked it very much.

Thanks for the replies.

I came off a yz 250, and I really liked the KYB Stuff.

I think the Japanese stuff is high in quality. I can pick up a shock for roughly £100 and I have a mate who could revalve it for very little money.

The Sachs shock I could probably get good. It's more of a 'Use what I'm used to' kind of thing.

I need to have a word with the guy who does my suspension when he is back off holiday. He mentioned putting a KYB bladder in the sachs shock.

I'll find out today and let you know.

Kawasaki shock...hmmm intriguing!

for that little money, i think the KYB is a good option...

check out if you get yourself one, shocks from 2012 CRF's 450 suffered problems at the piston (scratch).

Right..

KTM?

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I came off a yz 250, and I really liked the KYB Stuff.

I think the Japanese stuff is high in quality. I can pick up a shock for roughly £100 and I have a mate who could revalve it for very little money.

The Sachs shock I could probably get good. It's more of a 'Use what I'm used to' kind of thing.

I need to have a word with the guy who does my suspension when he is back off holiday. He mentioned putting a KYB bladder in the sachs shock.

I'll find out today and let you know.

Kawasaki shock...hmmm intriguing!

So what's the scoop? You haven't told us anything here other than it's cheap to get a japanese shock. What level rider are you? are you going to be doing mx? enduro? slow? fast? basicly what's going on? .. so you came off a yz .. doing what? supercross?.. because right now to me your project doesn't make sense. Seems to me so far from what you've said .. and haven't said that you just are entertaining the thought of changing suspension because it's cheap. You haven't even told us what kind of riding you do yet.   :excuseme:  So the reasoning is to "use what I'm used to"???? kind of thing? So nothing is wrong with the Sachs but you just want to change for the hell of it?  Hmmm. I knew when Beta got more mainstream the conversations in the Beta threads would change. Gone are the days where most of the conversations were with more vet riders..not that it's specificly vet riders that are different.. but usually more of the information is laid out from the start so we know the direction of the focus.  It's just evolving more toward the more mainstream threads elsewhere.. I've noticed this on a few other Beta threads.. just noticing a trend here.

I came off a yz 250 which I used for Hare Scrambles/Timecard Enduro's.

I ride Expert Level. Which is similar to your A Class. It will be fairly fast rocky, rooty and mud infested riding most of the times as I live in Wales, which is part of the UK.

I would rather have a Japanese shock on my bike, but I'm sure I can get the Sachs pretty good.

It's not bad (The Sachs) but it could be better.

I'm just interested in what other options people have tried on their Beta's.

I came off a yz 250 which I used for Hare Scrambles/Timecard Enduro's.

I ride Expert Level. Which is similar to your A Class. It will be fairly fast rocky, rooty and mud infested riding most of the times as I live in Wales, which is part of the UK.

I would rather have a Japanese shock on my bike, but I'm sure I can get the Sachs pretty good.

It's not bad (The Sachs) but it could be better.

I'm just interested in what other options people have tried on their Beta's.

Thankyou!! Now we know where we are!..perfect.

I think the Sachs shock is fine.  Most tuners think its fine and a high quality unit.  Even the older steel body Sachs was fine once gone through.  For sure its better than the later model Ohlins on the GGs, with their crappy price point adjusters and major cross talk.  The key like all suspension is setup, and when setup correctly is not going to hold most riders back.  The tuners that I know don't seem to have a problem with this.  Much of this perceived need to immediately replace it with a Fox or try to fit somethiong else is driven by marketing hype.  Lots of really fast guys come out of our association and you never see exotic shocks on their bikes, just good setups on OEM stuff.  If you have the $$ and just want want it, thats fine, but its not a must do mod.

• Like 2