Sign in to follow this  

Getting a bike in my basement?

The house I rent doesn't have a garage so for the past few years, my friend's parents have been nice enough to allow me to store my bike in their garage. Unfortunately, they need to space to store some boat stuff this winter so I have to put my bike somewhere else. I have a big basement but the only access from outside is a set of bilko doors with some fairly steep steps. Has anyone ever built or heard of anyone building some kind of ramp to get a bike up and down stairs like that? It would still be a pain in the a$$ to get the 4fatty up and down there but it's manageable I think.

You shouldnt have much issue just pushing it down then when its time to get it out fire that baby and ride it out!

Edited by dirt1080
  • Like 2

Put some wood board or planks down one half of the steps and keep steps on the other half for pushing the bike. To go up, start the bike and push in gear up the ramp using the clutch.

I used to bring my TZ750 down the basement stairs for winter rebuild. A door, 90 degree turn and steep stairs. I'd get the bike up on the back tire, hold a clipon in one hand , modulate the foot  brake with my other hand hand 'walk' it down, one step at a time. A dirtbike would of been easy. Get a friend or two if it is too mmuch for you, have one in front, one behind holding a rope and you guide it.

I'd avoid planks as they can encourage a 'runaway. Just walk it up and down the steps.

I put my 450 in the basement this winter since my garage isn't heated. The stairs are stone and really steep, with the top of the doorframe being four feet from the start of the stairs.

I had to leverage it sideways against me, with me against the wall, then slowly walk down step by step while feathering the front brake. Almost fell and died when I got to the bottom and the handlebars turned into me and I started to fall towards the stairs. I let go of the bike and caught myself, but the bike didn't get damaged at all.

Getting up is another story. I did it the same way, but with my uncle spinning the back tire and me pushing the front up step by step.

It also doesn't help when the final step to outside is bigger than the bike's ground clearance, so it rested on the skid plate.

I hope I don't have to do it again this winter. I might just put it in the hallway from the house to the garage where it isn't that cold.

Definitely possible just make sure you have enough overhead clearance for bars, rear fender e/t/c...

Use your clutch as a rear brake, having a second set of hands will make it even easier

You may have to remove the handle bars to get it through the door way. I built a '72 CB 750 in a 4th floor apartment. Bought it up in pieces but when I went to push it out I found the handle bars where too wide. Luckily I had clip ons so I just adjusted them in and was very careful not to dent the tank.

I didn't have to take my bars off and the door way was a probably five feet, coming in at a 45 degree angle. I had to turn them though to get them through.

I used to rent a house where I put in the basement and the only stairs where inside the house and very narrow plus you had to turn at the bottom because there was a wall right at the bottom of the stairs I admit it wasn't fun but if I managed that you should be fine just get some help and put a person at both ends. I wouldn't mess with a ramp at least I didn't just yank the wheel over one stair at a time come back up. Call one or two of your strong friends when you do it at least for getting it out. Your only going up and down once a season. You got this.

You shouldnt have much issue just pushing it down then when its time to get it out fire that baby and drive it out!

I've ridden my dirt bike up a staircase before, it's easy.  You barely even notice the stairs because the bike's suspension will soak it all up.

But to correct dirt1080, "ride" that biatch out!

I used to rent a house where I put in the basement and the only stairs where inside the house and very narrow plus you had to turn at the bottom because there was a wall right at the bottom of the stairs I admit it wasn't fun but if I managed that you should be fine just get some help and put a person at both ends. I wouldn't mess with a ramp at least I didn't just yank the wheel over one stair at a time come back up. Call one or two of your strong friends when you do it at least for getting it out. Your only going up and down once a season. You got this.

I'm typically the strong one that everyone calls when they need help lifting something lol. It's not the weight of the bike it's just the awkwardness of going up and down stairs. That's why I'm thinking a ramp to push it up and down would help.

I'm typically the strong one that everyone calls when they need help lifting something lol. It's not the weight of the bike it's just the awkwardness of going up and down stairs. That's why I'm thinking a ramp to push it up and down would help.

lol i hear ya. You will pull it off. I did it with my father and I'm not a huge guy. I stayed in front of the bike and grabbed the forks and just pulled it up one stair at a time with my father giving a little push from behind and help keeping the bike steady. This was a 450 also not a little bike. Just don't hurt your back before the first ride of the year. Lol

Yah you should be able too pretty easily.. There's quite a few guys that do this. I built a quad in my basement a few years ago..

Had to put the axle and a-arms on in the garage though but all the engine and everything else was on :ride: