Sign in to follow this  

What Needle In PWK Air Striker

Wanted to see what needle people are running in there PWK Air Striker?

Mine came with the JD red in it. Bike has run to rich. Clip is in first position. Running 40 pilot and172 main.

When I moved clip to first position it leaned out but now too lean at FWOT. Lost over rev when I moved clip up to first position.

Looking at trying different needle.

Looking for suggestions on needle and or jetting changes.

Head has been milled, squish corrected, and port work done.

Edited by cleaner1

What type of riding are you doing with the bike. mx, offroad racing, trail ? What are you using for a pipe ? It will help me recommend a jetting spec for you.

• Like 1

Also temps , humidity etc.. & elev. if applicable will help as well.   Is it running on pump fuel ? 

Edited by H4L
  • Like 1

stock 2000 cr250 needle has been the best for me. JD's aren't as good in a PWK as they are in the TMX's

What type of riding are you doing with the bike. mx, offroad racing, trail ? What are you using for a pipe ? It will help me recommend a jetting spec f

or you.

Racing enduros and cross country. Riding 90% single track for fun.

Using a fmf knarly.

Also temps , humidity etc.. & elev. if applicable will help as well. Is it running on pump fuel ?

Temps vary from the 40s to 95 degrees. Humidity 50-75%

Elevation 900ft.

Temps vary from the 40s to 95 degrees. Humidity 50-75%

Elevation 900ft.

Running 100LL fuel.

stock 2000 cr250 needle has been the best for me. JD's aren't as good in a PWK as they are in the TMX's

This is generally a great all around needle (16203-KZ3-J21) for your setup.  Knowing what slide you have would be helpful in the tuning process as well.

Edited by moto2000

This is generally a great all around needle (16203-KZ3-J21) for your setup.  Knowing what slide you have would be helpful in the tuning process as well.

I have the stock 7 slide. Can you give the number on the needle too please? I was going to go with JD's needle but if you guys say it's not as good in the PWK I'll listen. A guy on here told me a 8 slide and NECH needle from a Suzuki for moto!

Using a fmf knarly.

I'm in Texas and run a CEJ for mx, but that needle will probably be too rich at 1/8-1/4 throttle for single track.

I'd suggest that you try a CEK. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-JET-NEEDLE-CEK-/360930629417?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5409245729&vxp=mtr

I'm in Texas and run a CEJ for mx, but that needle will probably be too rich at 1/8-1/4 throttle for single track.

I'd suggest that you try a CEK. http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEIHIN-JET-NEEDLE-CEK-/360930629417?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5409245729&vxp=mtr

Thanks CamP! I live in the North DFW area. I ride Red River Motorcycle Trails frequently.

I will give the CEK a try and report back. Do you know were I can I get a listing of all different Keihin PWK needles?

Using a fmf knarly.

You have a very similar setup to what I race with. When using the #7 slide, I like to use a Suzuki needle from an 07 RM250,http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-13383-37FL0.html an NEDW needle #3, 42 pilot and a 172 main. Start with the air screw @1.5 out. This needle is nice and smooth from bottom to top with good throttle response and decent torque.  

The setup that I use, uses a #8 slide with a Yamaha N3CW needle  http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-4SR-14916-CW-00.html  #3 slot, 45 pilot, 178 main with the air screw @1.5 out. The #8 slide mellows out the N3CW needle. The Yamaha needle has more low end torque, than the Suzuki needle with a nice and smooth mid and top, When the #8 slide is used with the Suzuki needles it significantly enhances the throttle response down low and wears me out when racing Hare Scrambles  while using the Gnarly pipe.  I can use this jetting with other pipes, but not the Gnarly. That's why I asked what pipe you were using. It's also requires slightly different jetting when using the Suzuki needles and the #8 slide. 

These are just starting setting , but should be pretty close

Anyone know if the PWK Kehin carb off of a 2005 RM 250 will be the same as a YZ 250 PWK CamP speaks about? I have the CEJ needle withe 178 main and 48 pilot jets... I know the bowl gasket configuration is different, I think that's it...I will be plugging in the TPS...

Edited by RMZRider1

Anyone know if the PWK Kehin carb off of a 2005 RM 250 will be the same as a YZ 250 PWK CamP speaks about? I have the CEJ needle withe 178 main and 48 pilot jets... I know the bowl gasket configuration is different, I think that's it...

The PWK off the RM functions exactly the same as the YZ carb. The only difference between the two is the TPS connector, which  is different than the YZ's.

Edited by rtv

You have a very similar setup to what I race with. When using the #7 slide, I like to use a Suzuki needle from an 07 RM250,http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/suzuki/SP-13383-37FL0.html an NEDW needle #3, 42 pilot and a 172 main. Start with the air screw @1.5 out. This needle is nice and smooth from bottom to top with good throttle response and decent torque.

The setup that I use, uses a #8 slide with a Yamaha N3CW needle http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/yamaha/YP-4SR-14916-CW-00.html #3 slot, 45 pilot, 178 main with the air screw @1.5 out. The #8 slide mellows out the N3CW needle. The Yamaha needle has more low end torque, than the Suzuki needle with a nice and smooth mid and top, When the #8 slide is used with the Suzuki needles it significantly enhances the throttle response down low and wears me out when racing Hare Scrambles while using the Gnarly pipe. I can use this jetting with other pipes, but not the Gnarly. That's why I asked what pipe you were using. It's also requires slightly different jetting when using the Suzuki needles and the #8 slide.

These are just starting setting , but should be pretty close

Thanks rtv! Where do you do most v of your riding?

This has been my experience so far as well about the triple taper 00 cr250 needle 715/289R on the Keihin.  I didn't think the JD needles were better than the mikuni ones as I had a better result with one.  If you don't know how to fine tune a carb jetting wise the JD needles will be a better option.