Sign in to follow this  

how to clean oil screen safely?

I think being you have already ordered the fly wheel puller I would go ahead and clean the filter if nothing but for piece of mind. I did the same thing and the project itself is very simple (with the puller) and the screen was all but perfectly clean with 20+ hours of riding on my 2012. I know some guys have had loads of gasket material in their screen with much less time so I think I would just go ahead and do it. The only advise I have is to be careful when pulling the case cover as I wasnt as careful as I should have been and ended up twiking the gasket bad enough to where I decided to replace it and of course I didnt have one inhand so I had to order and wait a couple of addtional days before completing the project.

I think being you have already ordered the fly wheel puller I would go ahead and clean the filter if nothing but for piece of mind. I did the same thing and the project itself is very simple (with the puller) and the screen was all but perfectly clean with 20+ hours of riding on my 2012. I know some guys have had loads of gasket material in their screen with much less time so I think I would just go ahead and do it. The only advise I have is to be careful when pulling the case cover as I wasnt as careful as I should have been and ended up twiking the gasket bad enough to where I decided to replace it and of course I didnt have one inhand so I had to order and wait a couple of addtional days before completing the project.

my gaskets still fine lol, ive had the cover sitting off as well as the drainplug for a few days waiting to get everything i need+otherstuff before i order so it will get here at the same time. should i be worried about the dowel pins and such like the guy in the one threadd. all i plan to do is remove the flywheel, then oil pump cover and pull the screen out behind the cover, clean it and put it back together? sry i overthink things. and is there any sort of flywheel holder so i can use a wrecnch to break the nut loose instead of borrowing my neibors air impact?? i cant find any online, 2014 kx450f http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff127/drive932/CIMG3711a.jpg

Well, I ended up removing the nut on mine with an impact wrench although I would have felt much better doing it with the kawi flywheel holder pictured. I think it's more important to have the holder when your going back together to insure you are able to get the correct torques. Also, as far as the dowel pins go, if you are careful and pay attention to placement you shouldn't have any trouble. For what's its worth I found a set of (3) Kawi flywheel pullers on EBay with the handle for 150.00.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407971644.410005.jpg

Well, I ended up removing the nut on mine with an impact wrench although I would have felt much better doing it with the kawi flywheel holder pictured. I think it's more important to have the holder when your going back together to insure you are able to get the correct torques. Also, as far as the dowel pins go, if you are careful and pay attention to placement you shouldn't have any trouble. For what's its worth I found a set of (3) Kawi flywheel pullers on EBay with the handle for 150.00.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407971644.410005.jpg

thanks i feel more confident. and 150 bucks for a handle? heck ill have someone slowly kick the motor over while i hold the tourq wrench lol