Sign in to follow this  

Reasonable cost for a complete (used) motor

First of all, hi I'm new! Looking forward to many fun discussions, and hate to start of on a pretty sour note. Anyway, the engine on my (new to me, high mileage) 2006 DRZ400 seized a couple weeks ago and I've been looking for a replacement in all the usual places. Prices are a lot higher than I expected. What's a reasonable price that I should be looking for? Also, if anyone's got a spare motor....ahem, I'm all ears.

First of all, hi I'm new! Looking forward to many fun discussions, and hate to start of on a pretty sour note. Anyway, the engine on my (new to me, high mileage) 2006 DRZ400 seized a couple weeks ago and I've been looking for a replacement in all the usual places. Prices are a lot higher than I expected. What's a reasonable price that I should be looking for? Also, if anyone's got a spare motor....ahem, I'm all ears.

ive seen beat motors listed at $600 and mint low mile motors go for $1500

just a complete head alone goes for 400-550 on ebay....

How many miles were on your DRZ?

The odo had about 40k, but the PO had a big sprocket on, so let's round it down to 35k. I have a buddy who builds engines looking at it, so far, not looking so good.

The odo had about 40k, but the PO had a big sprocket on, so let's round it down to 35k. I have a buddy who builds engines looking at it, so far, not looking so good.

Milage on the DRZ is calculated by the front wheel,  so rear sprocket size has nothing to do with it,   still 40K is good to see out of a DRZ. 

• Like 4

I bought a great condition 06 sm engine off a ADVriver member  for 700. the deals are out there.

Depending on how destroyed your engine is ....

A Full or Top End Rebuild would be what I would consider and evaluate first.... before looking at someone's else mess..

from the low of $400 to the ridiculous high of $2000. a refurbish of the head alone is around $500 with shipping. a refurbish of the jug+ new piston (depending on the jugs damage) can be as little as $200. 

it's going to depend on where you buy it. if you wait for a nice E to show up on craigslist for $1200, the engine is essentially free, since you can part the bike and make up most of your money. if you desire a shiny engine with lots of bolted on performance pieces, the price goes up considerably. 

personally, unless the engine was split in half by a piston/rod coming out the front, i would rebuild it myself. any bottom end or vent-to-atmosphere damages would mean dumping the engine at the scrap yard after removing the sidecases and other undamaged pieces, and finding another one. 

if it needs more than a top end rebuild it would probably be easier to save up alittle more and just buy a whole other running bike .. and the money you were going to spend fixing it + what you could recover parting it out would probably about cover it .. all without getting greasy and busting your knuckles lol ..

for 800  you have a crank kit and BBkit.

Add another 250$ for valve part, and 150$ for a clean and valve seat regrid.

them the job to open it up.(150$ in tool if you don't have them: case splitter is pretty much the only really needed one.but a clutch holder help a lot.)

Edited by maxpat82
  • Like 1

i bought a used s motor for $800. Took it apart and it looked good so i put it back together and rode it for a week then took it back out and put a big bore in. I think that motor runs smoother than my ones with the aftermarket bottom end. I got lucky though. I bought a head for my last motor for $200 (good deal) and sent it to eddie and had it rebuilt for $300. (like 4 months ago). That motor was expensive. I pretty much had to buy everything but the bottom end cases. over $2000...

Edited by jawknee21
  • Like 1

Here in Cali you can find complete E's for cheap,  around $1500 or so,  since they are not street legal,  you can buy one,  remove the engine,  part out the rest of the bike,  probably make some money. 

This guy is asking $1700 OBO and the bike has a aftermarket pipe and comes with a brand new in box kickstart kit,  can be had for $1300 or so cash,  then you have a E engine which is 8 more HP. 

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4564604876.html

This one is a little pricy at $1950,  but remember that is asking price,  can be gotten for around $1500 for sure.

http://ventura.craigslist.org/mcy/4588882714.html

Every once in a while ill see a MINT E model for less then $2000,  a bike that has been hardly used,  with FCR car and E cams and bigger exhaust,   good deals out here on E's. 

• Like 2