Sign in to follow this  

considering a xr600 need input please

Hello first post been a lurker for a while again and a former member years ago my how things have changed. Im considering a xr600 for my next bike ive grew tired of the fuss of 450's and wide open or nothing of 2t bikes. But I do have a hunger for power still when I want it. I at one time had a Yamaha 600 it was a good bike lacked the topend punch ive grown use to but I loved the low end power and run forever dependability of it. Thats why im hear poking your minds forsome help. Me being 6'4" and 320# range I really need that lowend power I hate how the 450's flame out and am tired of pumping cash into them trying to make it a bike it will never be. First off is the suspension able to be sprung for my weight ive looked around some and seems alot of that size springs have been discontinued? I mainly trail ride hill climb ride single tracks about any kind of ridding the mountains of eastern United states has to offer but no mx tracks or sand. I absolutely will get the

A-loop kit for the ridding position and ergonomics. This leads to my next question. Does a fcr clear the A-loop tank as well as the stock unit? And my other questions go along with the engine Im pretty sure I would be happy with the stock motor piped and fcr carb but id like to have a good topend pull to match the low end grunt. Would a stage 1 hot cam 10-1 piston. Fcr41 carb and xrs only full system net me in the low to mid 40 hp range I dont mind going to something like the webcam 450/451 cam and change valve springs. I dont want to loose much off the bottom or have to port the head id like to get the most I can from the stock head and bore without getting carried away. Thanks and sorry for such a long post. Later big_bob

Not a whole lot of questions buried in that block of text. Sounds like you've got a pretty good idea of what you want, so all you need now is to get one and start building it up. 

I'd be surprised if you can find springs that will be able to accommodate a rider of your size off the shelf, but place some calls to a manufacturer like Eibach or a suspension tuning shop like RaceTech or Progressive Suspension they can probably help you find something that will work.

As for the FCR fitment, check out the thread about fitting a FCR to the XR600R. 

Yea some times I just dont know when to shut up lol. I looked threw the fcr mx install post and didn't see anything about with the aloop kit but I may have over looked it. Ill look again.

First off the RFVC motors dont like hi lift cams HEAVY loads on valve train. Its never going to rev like a 450. A big bore kit with  10 to 10.5 comp a FCR carb and pipe will give you a good motor that will stay together.

Any good susp shop can revalve a spring the bike. With your size the USD conversion would help alot.

A Loop kit is nice if you can deal with 2 gal tank.

i know it can never rev like a 450 i just wanted it to have more toped power and not fall dead like my old xt600 would. the 2 gal. tank won't be a problem for me we only ride tops 50 miles a ride all my buddys have 450s so they are limited as well. 

My xr600 is the best bike I ever had. Whoops 450s all day long, idk its history but someone set this bike good. I traded my 2001 cr250 for a 1994 xr600, and let me tell you that 250 2 stroke has nothing on my xr. Never looking back, xr for life.