Sign in to follow this  

96 YZ80 Clutch issue

Ok gonna say im semi mechaniclly inclined but this will be the first dirt bike i've ever worked on and im kinda stumped as to where to go next. Long story short it was running and riding two weeks ago and then i got it from my nephew this week and they were having trouble getting it started. But before i could even try checking for spark i noticed the clutch wasnt disengagin or engaing(dont know which is the proper term), point being it wasnt disengaging the motor from the transmission nor was it returning. So pulled the clutch apart and found a plate that was broken and out of place, so figured that might be why it wasnt working correctly. But something was still bugging me and before i order the replacment kit i put it all back together, putting the broken pieces in place just to see if everything would operate. And once i got it all together and pulled the lever nothing happend, the pressure plate doesnt even move a mm. So i figured maybe i torqued it down too much so i lossened the bolts, to the point the broken pieces started falling out and still nothing. I can push the lever on the motor with my finger even and it just stays put even when i had it torqued down. So im thinking maybe the second rod is bent or maybe the push lever or rod is just worn out but I have no clue how to get to either or hell maybe theres something else im missing and just dont know about. Like is there supposed to be a spring on lever on the motor or do the springs on the clutch facilitate that. Am i gonna have to crack the motor open just to get to the second rod and pull the push lever off? Is there something i'm missing? Help would most definetly be appreciated.

Edit, i pulled the push rod in the clutch basket out and the little ball was there, so i know thats there.

Edited by sylumcase

Well now i feel retarded, there wasnt an arrow but a little dot and a little dot on the inside. Now the pressure plate atleast moves and the lever returns.

Not to worry, you were lucky a riding buddy came in yesterday with a clutch problem and I had a similar problem. His clutch was slipping as if fried. A little cleaning and reshuffling those friction plates did it to him. Hopefully he buys a new clutch plate kit soon though.

• Like 1