Sign in to follow this  

03 cr250 question

Well, I found a super low hour 03 cr250 that I am going to pick up in the next couple of days.  The only thing I don't like about it is it seems someone replaced the stock bars with what appears to be a cheap set of aftermarket with a strange bend to them.  My question is; is the stock handlebars on the 03 made by renthal so if I bought a set from partzilla, they will be the nice renthals that came on my 06? 

Does anyone know if the gear ratio's inside the transmission are the same on the 03 as they are on the 05-07's?  My 06 has a 49 tooth sprocket stock but the 03 has a 48.  If the gear sets are the same, I will probably just get an 49 for the 03 since the gear ratios on my 06 are pretty good with that. 

The Gear ratios are the same:

1st= 1.80

2nd= 1.47

3rd= 1.21

4th= 1.00

5th=  0.86

Edited by rtv
  • Like 1

The stock 03-07 bars are Renthal 971's. They also came stock on the CRF's.  They are not the old CR bend, which has too much sweep for the modern attack position riding style.

You can often find brand new take-off bars on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Honda-CRF250-OEM-Renthal-Handle-Bars-NEW-/331270714604?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d2145f4ec&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRF250-YZ450F-KX250F-KX125-RM250-CRF450-KX450F-RM250-7-8-Handle-Bars-Renthal-971-/261519460246?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ce3c64796&vxp=mtr

Edited by CamP

The stock 03-07 bars are Renthal 971's. They also came stock on the CRF's.  They are not the old CR bend, which has too much sweep for the modern attack position riding style.

You can often find brand new take-off bars on ebay.

So if I bought a set of Bars from partzilla for the 03 cr250, it would be the Renthal 971?  Just asking since I can get bars from Partzilla for $30 and the OE replacement Renthals (they call them CR Mid) are $61 from amazon.

I think I just answered my own question, it looks like they went to the Renthal 971 in 04 and that part number goes all the way through 12 for all CR's and CRF's.  To buy those from Partzilla is also $61 so I think I will just get the CR Mid's from Amazon since they are supposed to be an OEM replacement for the 02-03's.

So if I bought a set of Bars from partzilla for the 03 cr250, it would be the Renthal 971?  Just asking since I can get bars from Partzilla for $30 and the OE replacement Renthals (they call them CR Mid) are $61 from amazon.

Actually, the stock bars were steel up to '03. You want the 04-up bar, part no. 53100-MEN-670

Check out the new take-offs I added to my last post. They will save you a few bucks.

Actually, the stock bars were steel up to '03. You want the 04-up bar, part no. 53100-MEN-670

Check out the new take-offs I added to my last post. They will save you a few bucks.

Awesome, thanks for finding those listings on Ebay, I like the one that comes with the bar pad.  May have to just order it now.

Awesome, thanks for finding those listings on Ebay, I like the one that comes with the bar pad.  May have to just order it now.

Glad to help. Those stock '09-up CRF grips are great. I run the left grip on all my bikes. Unfortunately the stock CR throttle tube is too short for the throttle side CRF grip.

Edited by CamP

Glad to help. Those stock '09-up CRF grips are great. I run the left grip on all my bikes. Unfortunately the stock CR throttle tube is too short for the throttle side CRF grip.

I've been running the gray/black twin wall half waffle Renthals and I really like them. 

I've been running the gray/black twin wall half waffle Renthals and I really like them. 

I've tried all the Renthal grips, and I keep going back to OEM honda grips.

• Like 1

I have some perfect renthal twinwall 918 with rubber mounts and bar pad. They were on my 03

Edited by MotoGuido