Sign in to follow this  

Washington Visiting Tri Cities, Looking for a ride recommendation

Hi WA TT'ers.  Im visiting family in the Tri Cities area.  My brother and I are looking for a good place to ride.  We prefer to beat the heat and get a little higher in elevation.  We are intermediate riders that can handle just about anything.  We arent looking for your SSS, just a place where we can put on 30 to 60 fun miles.  Single track preferred but we dont mind larger trails as long as they are fun.  Can anyone recommend a loop?  

The areas that I have found so far are Cle Elum and Taneum.  However, there also seems to be some closures in place in those areas.  Also a OHV friendly map for the Taneum area seems to be elusive.  

As always, thanks for pointing us in the right direction TT!!!

Devin

Little Naches area is closest open mountain area to tri cities.  Stop west of Yakima at the Naches ranger station on the way for directions and map. A guess that it is about 120 miles from TC.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/okawen/recarea/?recid=57121

Joe

Thanks Joe.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.  Your advice about Little Naches is perfectly in alignment with our research.  I already have a green map of the area and will swing by the rangers office to pick up an OHV map.

Thanks again, we will tread lightly on your trails.  

Devin 

My two cents would have you driving over to Milton-Freewater and riding up the Walla Walla River trail.  It's not on most riding websites, but it is known to most of the locals and has a staging area for motorcycles about a 1/2 mile up the road from the campground.  They also have a large trail map posted at the staging area that I use my cell phone to take pictures of prior to riding so that I know which trails are open.   It has incredible single track and terrain that will challenge most intermediate riders.  Also, you can stop along the Walla Walla river and dunk your head and jersey and stay cool.  I've ridden Naches this year and can tell you the trails out of Milton get about 5% of the traffic that Naches gets.  Trails are hammered in Naches.  They are also dry and dusty compared to the Walla Walla River trail.

Edited by CRFtimes5

Why not Umatilla nation forest in Oregon, out by Pendleton? I'd think that it's closer than Little Natches.

http://www.where-to-ride.info/

From Kennewick to Naches trail heads it's 130 miles.  From Kennewick to Ukiah (Winom Creek) it's 130 miles.  From Kennewick to Walla Wall river trail it's 75 miles.

We had a great time yesterday.  The weather and trail conditions couldn't get any better.  Absolutely zero dust, a few puddles, a couple of drops of rain, and uncrowded trails.  We staged at about 0930 and put on about 43 miles.  

948 is is blocked by a down tree just on the uphill (north?) side of a long wood bridge that traverses a meadow.  It was impassible without cutting through the meadow and too much to take on with my hand saw.  A couple of guys equipped with a chainsaw could make light work of it though.  Needless to say we turned back, choosing to take 947 up the hill instead.  

Thanks for the other trail suggestions.  I will have to check out Walla Walla river trail and Umatilla next time im up here.  

Special thanks to Byron and Philip who we met on the trail and made some recommendations for the rest of our ride.  

IMG_20140815_113532_444.jpg

IMG_20140815_130711_006.jpg

IMG_20140815_130850_856.jpg