Xr400 Battery Add on

Now I know this has been discussed may times, but I cant seem to sift through the information and get the answer I seek. Im thinking of sumoing an xr400 I have my eye on.  Before I buy it I want to make sure I can register it in CT, only problem is I need a battery in order for the bike to pass inspection as both front and rear lights must stay on once the bike is off.  Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what ill need?  Im not going crazy for the lights so im hoping the stock stator will do.  How would I wire this?  The bike in question is a 1996 if that helps.  Im going to get the Baja design one but that doesn't utilize a battery.  Any help?  Thanks guys

You can use the stock stator to charge a battery, check the link for the rectifier needed and a battery pack we offer. 10% off for members, i can also give you a diagram specific for your bike.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/regulatorrectifier-wrelay-p-637.html

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/3700-nimh-battery-vehicle-mount-p-631.html

You can use the stock stator to charge a battery, check the link for the rectifier needed and a battery pack we offer. 10% off for members, i can also give you a diagram specific for your bike.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/regulatorrectifier-wrelay-p-637.html

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/3700-nimh-battery-vehicle-mount-p-631.html

Awesome!  So how would I wire this up?  Come off the stator to the rectifier?  Then to the battery?  Any idea how that fits in with the Baja Design kits wiring harness?  Thanks and any diagrams you have would help a ton

I did just go and purchase the bike by the way, pics to follow along with the steal.. I mean price

This looks good!!! If you put a tutorial video I would be interested!!!

The stator will charge the battery and then ALL the lights must run from the battery. Not sure about the Baja Designs kit.O

Oh I see, from what ive gathered I would have to run the power from the battery to the handlebar switch, and then all the negatives go to the negative on the battery.  Now its just about the dollars needed to buy it

This is why I need the battery, ive been told that once I have a constant battery flow, they should stay on.

The BD kit comes with a battery. CA laws only require the rear light to stay on for 10 minutes with the engine off. A small NiCad battery pack on top of the airbox works well.

Some of the newer kits out the battery behind the headlight.

I have bought replacement battery packs. I chose to stick with NiCad as LiPo needs better monitoring when being charged. LiPo batteries are known to catch fire. So if you go with LiPo get a good one, not something off ebay. The more expensive LiPo batteries have good built in Battery Management Systems. (bms).

The BD kit comes with a battery. CA laws only require the rear light to stay on for 10 minutes with the engine off. A small NiCad battery pack on top of the airbox works well.

Some of the newer kits out the battery behind the headlight.

I have bought replacement battery packs. I chose to stick with NiCad as LiPo needs better monitoring when being charged. LiPo batteries are known to catch fire. So if you go with LiPo get a good one, not something off ebay. The more expensive LiPo batteries have good built in Battery Management Systems. (bms).

Maybe I can get a larger battery and wire it in. I'm calling them bana designs today

If you add a battery just get an electric start baja designs kit. Everything runs off the battery in those ones. I'm currently doing this to my xr400. I'm putting a small sla battery in the airbox and I got a baja designs kit off ebay that comes with a polisport headlight. They are pretty cheap. He had it listed for $250 or $300 with free shipping but had a make offer on it so I got it for $200.Even the headlight runs off the battery in that kit.

Hmmm so Im ds my 01 xr4 and have been beating my head aginst the wall with google calculators trying to figure out if my stock stator will overcharge the battery. So far as I worked out the stock stator 75-80watts pushing close to 14.4 volts puts out close to 5 ah. This will inturn charge a 2.2ah lead acid battery in less than an hr. Plan on using baha designs regulator rectifier.  I must of missed somthing please help

I suppose, if that's with no lights on. The stock headlight bulb is 35w and the tail light is 5w, that are on constantly. So there's 40w of the total 80 that the stator makes, that is constantly being used to power the lights.