Good to go? No?

So today I found a 2012 ttr125 for sale. I contacted the guy and asked him a few normal questions. And it looks clean and the video of it running sounds great. But he doesent have any papers.. He has a key and has to go get a manual at a Yama dealership cause apparently he doesent have it. It's a kid and he needs something bigger.. I don't want to get something stolen so.. He said the vin isn't grounded off . But should I go for It.

No papers, no deal. All bikes sold in the USA come with a MSO, which is a federal title. A buyer is supposed to convert it into a state title, even if it is 'off road only'. People do not sometimes to avoid paying taxes. Many times, there is a loan out on the vehicle and the financing company has possession of the paper.

Owners too, loose the title or MSO. The MSO is your bikes 'birth certificate'. It is more valuable than a used Kleenx. The seller will find that out in a hurry.

Not to get too far off topic, but when my bike is paid off, will the dealer or company mail my MSO to me?

Yes, they should. Unless the dealer is internally financing it (which is highly unlikely) the title will come from whomever you send the payments to (or their 'processing company'). I suggest that you find out where the MSO/Title is now and get it in writing. It might make them ensure they actually know where it is and acknowledge possession of it. Then after you make your last payment, you should get it in four to twelve weeks.

No papers, no deal. All bikes sold in the USA come with a MSO, which is a federal title. A buyer is supposed to convert it into a state title, even if it is 'off road only'. People do not sometimes to avoid paying taxes. Many times, there is a loan out on the vehicle and the financing company has possession of the paper.

Owners too, loose the title or MSO. The MSO is your bikes 'birth certificate'. It is more valuable than a used Kleenx. The seller will find that out in a hurry.

I never got  title for my 2002 KX250, even though I bought it brand new still in the crate. The reason is, I bought it from Canada and had it shipped here (because I got it for $2900 brand new). But when I took the certificate of purchase and the origin papers to the DMV to get a title, they were going to charge me an import fee, sales tax on the MSRP ( not on what I actually paid for it) and several other fees that I can't remember the name of now, and it was going to end up costing me a couple thousand dollars for a bike I only paid $3000 for, for a paper that I don't need to race on a motocross track. So I never got it. The DMV can shove their outrageous fees up their collective asses as far as I'm concerned.

I have all the paperwork to prove the bike has been mine since it was brand new. So if someone won't buy my nearly showroom-condition bike because I don't have a title, that's fine, somebody else certainly will.

• Like 4

Called the sheriff and had him run the vin.. Bikes not registered. I think I'll get it and have it registered

You cannot get a registration without a title

do it. most people dont have titles for dirtbikes   if you turned down a deal for a bike everytime bc of no title you will never find a bike

I'd never buy a bke that did not have a title.

I have all the paperwork to prove the bike has been mine since it was brand new. So if someone won't buy my nearly showroom-condition bike because I don't have a title, that's fine, somebody else certainly will.

But this is all it takes...MSO. 

I've bought a bike W/O a title once.....the price was so good I was willing to take the risk. The seller lived in an awefuly nice house on top of a hill witha  great look out over a valley....figured I couldn't go wrong....Not like he was buying drugs or paying his rent with the money so I bought it. I got lucky....the PO was an EX club member.....took nothing for me to get the title from him (well the release of interest). This bike was a kids bike..so WTF?

I wouldn't do it with a bike/seller that I ANY questions about though. It would be very frustrating to have the sheriff show up and take my toy away!

Just buy it although i live in canada and bikes here hardly ever have titles or ownerships. Dosent mean they are all stolen and even if it was police here dont even bother unless its a large crime ring because once its stolen its a ghost.

you just stated that it is a kid selling the bike.  You cant legally enter into a contract unless the other party is 18.....so dont bother unless you deal with his parents and involve them (assuming that "kid" to you means under 18).  Cant advise about no title.  Colorado has historically only required a bill of sale.....but the MSO or title will give you some protection that the bike is not financed by someone else who would have a collateralized claim to the bike.  I would check NJ Dept of Revenue (or whomever licenses and titles in NJ).

But the deal killer is right in front of you if the kid is not 18.