Sign in to follow this  

keep the kick starter from wearing a hole in your oversize tank?

i just installed a zip ty tank on my yz250, and the kick starter doesn't really sit where its supposed to in the indention on the tank. i can tell the end of the kickstrarter will rub on the tank while riding. anyone come up with some good solutions to keep from damaging the tank?

i could but then i wouldn't get a full kick out of it right, since it woul bottom on the peg sooner?

i put a few layers of duct tape (cloth type). i also use glue to stick on segments of old inner tube to the frame where the tank rides. You could just as easily stick a piece of inner tube to the tank. If your engine mounts are loose and your crank's worn rubber tube won't last all that long.

Fiber glass cloth and resin? might not look pretty but it wont wear out.

Could the problem be solved by just grinding a bit of material off the kick starter tip?  Obviously you don't want to take too much, but if it's just a little it shouldn't weaken the lever or make it harder to kick.

I guess the other thing is to look at the tank mounts.  Could the problem be solved by just putting a rubber shim under the tank to move it up a bit?  I think I would look at shimming the tank before removing material from the lever.

Edited by rpt50

Mine touches too, 260 hours and just a little black mark where it contacts. No real wear to speak of.

• Like 2

I just rotated mine one tooth on the shaft as arnego2 suggested and it starts fine and doesn't bottom out on the foot peg too hard.  Usually, if I find tdc then kick it will start without even touching the footpeg