Sign in to follow this  

Are there any automatic clutchs other than Rekluse?

I want an automatic clutch system for my 08 drz400 but looked at the prices of Rekluse ones and i dont want to spend a ridiculous amout of money just for a new clutch..

Are there any other brands out there that go for just a few hundred maybe?

Considering replacing the clutch in your dirt bike with a stock clutch costs about $850, what is ridiculous about the price of a Rekluse?

$850? Is a DRZ clutch really that expensive? A complete OEM clutch for my YZ is less than $500.

Anyway, Revloc also makes auto clutches. I don't know how they're priced.

Hub, basket, pressure plate, springs, frictions, steels, add them all together and you will be right near $850.

Revloc did make excellent auto clutches however they were forced to close up shop in the US. EFM is the 3rd major auto clutch manufacturer. They produce an excellent product that is comparable to the original standard Revloc, and is similar to the Rekluse Pro.

Edited by Chas_M

You have several choice in Rekluse clutchs; the EXP unit replaces several disc, or the Core EXP which doesn't. From my limited experience with a CRF250X the EXP will have a wider range of engine speeds from initial to full lockup than a Core. I tended to ride one gear lower with the Exp to avoid clutch slip. The Core, which also uses the EXP unit,  uses more frictions so has an earlier hookup and more torque capacity.   IMO an EXP might be OK for MX but for trail riding I like an earlier hookup in the clutch so that the throttle provides better control of torque to the rear wheel, rather than feeling like I'm riding an auto trans.

I'm an old XR trail rider who is use to controling  torque to the rear wheel at low engine speeds via the throttle, so I want an autoclutch with early lockup. If I want more power or rpm I'll shift gears. The benefit I noticed when riding with an auto clutch on technical trails is less angst about needing to use the clutch

I know this may not apply to a 450 but for my riding style and riding terrain the only reason for an auto clutch is to prevent an engine stall while navigating unexpected obstacle like a switchback or stair step.

Some posit that clutch control is the solution but I have a Trials bike, and I know how to use its clutch. In addition I've competed in Trials events, but there you pre plan the ride in each section.  The problem with trail riding, or competing in Enduros,  is obstacles on the trail are un-planned events,   so the autoclutch can save a flame out on a side hill or a switchback, and the resulting immediate search for a footing to avoid a tip over.

I have tried a EXP 3 and a Core EXP 3 in  my CRF250X, they come with springs that provide 3 different idle drag speeds. The Core has 2 more frictions than the EXP so hooks up earlier. I'm currently using the lightest springs for early hookup but I'm considering  installing the tungsten carbide weights for an even earlier hookup.

Idle speed drag is important because it reduces clutch dis-engage when descending hills. The EXP was better than the Core

I also added a Left Hand Rear Brake kit, I'm still on the learning curve but an autoclucth will dis engaged with a stalled engine, which creates a problem on failed hill climbs. The LHRB has other uses such as; restarts on hills, rear braking on right hand downhill switchbacks, or bulldogging downhills with an autoclutch. 

So I recommend a Core Exp for trail riding rather than a EXP.

Edited by Chuck.

I have a 06 ktm 400exc and run a rev loc love the thing it controls my clutch better than me and i can hold on with a full fist making riding fatigue lessened theres downsides but the pros outway the negatives to me. I ride mainly single track rocky steep mountains that love to stall you on a steep hill with no footing :) anyways rev loc no longer exists so you wont have a piece of jewelry inside your clutch cover but rekluse is your next best thing

I love my efm auto clutch. Plus they can make one for any bike. Which is great when you have a 93 kdx 250/99 kx 125 hybrid.

1427940901592.jpg

1427941214817.jpg

• Like 1