Sign in to follow this  

Compession Release Lever - What purpose?

Could not find discussion doing a search so I thought I'd throw this out there.  What is the point of the extenal compression release on a 600R.  It's my understanding that it has an automatic compression release built in.  It's already easy to kick over. So what is the point?  Is there a good reason not to remove it?

I'll swap you my 650L valve cover for the 600R and lever assembly if you don't want it. It would be a welcome addition to my 650L  :D

Edited by BadIdeaMike

Why would it be a welcome addition to your bike?  What would you use it for or why do you think you need it?  I havn't used it since getting my 600 and never used it on my 400.  I disassembled it on my 400.  The engines kick through easily and I've never had a kickback on either.  I still would like to hear how and why people use them. I have asked some locals and all I get is "I don't know".   I'll keep you in mind if I decide to get rid of it.  Your name makes me a little bit nervous about the deal though.

I took the automatic (kickstart) release completely off my bike in favor of the manual one, and I will tell you why.  There are several reasons to use the manual one. First and foremost is for reliable restarting.  You kick the engine slowly till TDC, release compression with the manual, nudge it just a smidge past TDC,  bring the kick start back up to get a full stroke and give it a kick.  Starts everytime in usually one kick.   I took the automatic one off because it was more confusing to find TDC with it.  i was finding myself kicking it till the auto release popped back, finding TDC easily then and giving it a good kick, so i just got rid of it and love it without.

The second reason to use the manual is if you drop or otherwise flood the bike you can pull the release, open the throttle wide and kick it over fairly easy to clear it out.(no need to even turn of the kill switch, it wont backfire)  If for any reason my bike wont start in two kicks or so I do the reset, then restart the starting drill and it fires right up.

Another reason for the manual release is to bump start the bike on the trail.  There is one trail in particular in one of our loops that is mostly downhill, I often kill the engine with the compression release and coast down the trail in silence.  It is really pretty fun since it is steep enough to keep your speed up.  When I see an uphill section coming up I pull the release with my thumb, pull in the clutch, put it in second and let out the clutch and release the release to bump start it and resume my ride under power.  Sounds complicated but it isn't.    Often after the uphill part there is more long downhills so ai repeat the process.

Since my bike has no battery I often just pull the compression release to shut it off and don't bother with the key or kill switch.

Some people will undoubtedly have different opinions than me, but that is ok they are entitled to their own opinion, but that is what works for me on my 600 for what that is worth.

Dave

If you ever drop the bike and fuel floods the engine, you'll be really glad it has it, to clear the cylinder out, quickly and easily.

If the auto decomp fails, you'll be really glad...

If you sink it in a water crossing, you'll be really glad...

If you ever switch to an aftermarket cam, you'll be really glad...

Thanks for the responses.  Think I'll keep it.   Although I sure most of you never fall on a trail, I seem to be able to do it on a regular basis and the engine loads up.  Clearing the engine quickly sounds good to me.  I'll get a lot of use from that.

BAHHHH! If it weren't for these meddling kids I would be sending my valve cover off to its new owner!