silver lake people...can I make a spark arrestor for my stock muffler and pass inspection?

Hey guys I am being cheap and dont want to spend $400 on a slip on for my YZ450f, do you think that I would pass inspection if I put some stainless steel screen on the inside of my muffler and band clamp it on?

No that won't work, you must have a spark arrestor that is stamped USFS approved. Get legal or don't go, people trying to skirt the system is just more ammo to shut these places down.

Edited by MrRong

Looks like there are some ~$100 options to put a sparky end cap on your stock can.

Agree with MrRong regarding doing it legitimately. You are most likely well over sound requirements with the stock can as well. Would be a good idea to put a quiet can with sparky on it to be legal.

a buddy of mine was there on memorial day with his new 14 RMZ 250f and he didnt know you needed a spark arrestor.....went right through the line and no one ever checked his stock exhaust...worked fine for him....I wont be so lucky.

It's widely known that sand is highly flammable and our bikes shoot a constant shower of sparks out the exhaust. Definitely get a legit spark arrestor.

It is also widely known that people that attempt to bypass the rules that are set for a reason even if they don't agree with him are exactly the people that need to quit riding on public lands as they are the reason the greenies want them shut down

I agree that the spark arrestor at silver lake thing is a bit ridiculous(there is nothing to catch on fire in the dunes), but they have to have a standard to follow...that standard is simple, if it is USFS approved then your good....there is no other standard that half of that, that I am aware of.

I agree that the spark arrestor at silver lake thing is a bit ridiculous(there is nothing to catch on fire in the dunes), but they have to have a standard to follow...that standard is simple, if it is USFS approved then your good....there is no other standard that half of that, that I am aware of.

There are plenty of things to catch fire at silver lake, as the dunes are not just sand