Sign in to follow this  

Brand new clutch kit, and clutch still slips? Can't figure it out.

Hey, guys.

I have a 1999 KDX 220. The clutch started slipping a few weeks ago, so I pulled the cover off to see how much friction was left on the plates. I discovered a broken friction plate, and got a new clutch kit. I guess the plates were just super worn out. Anyways, I installed the clutch kit, and it still slips.

I tried new springs and when I tightened them down all the way to spec, the clutch pusher was too far in which made the cable way too slacky and I'm sure it was engaging the clutch. If I loosened the springs, there was still slack but not as much. And the clutch didn't pull all the way in. I didn't even start it and try to ride it, because I knew that wouldn't work. It does this from time to time on the old springs, too.

I know I'm installing it right, but here's a video. And another video of the clutch basket.

Here's a thread with a little more info on the situation. Me and a guy over at KDXRider have been trying to figure it out, so here's that thread.

http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16344&start=60

So you put in half the steel plates or friction plates? Because mine was slipping with the old steels and frictions as well :p

Are you sure there's a difference in thickness? I never really noticed. But then again, I never really paid attention, because I thought they were the same.

Edited by superman27e

I couldn't wait, so I went out and checked it. I did have them in the wrong place, but it's only a tiny bit thicker. I didn't show that in the manual for some reason. Anyways, still when I torque the springs screws down to spec, the clutch release lever has way too much play in it. It's like the clutch rod is already pushed in too far, and it's not making contact with the clutch rod. There for, it's rolling in gear. If I bring the spring screws out some, it makes contact with the rod, but still rolls freely in gear.

I'm positive all parts are there by what the manual says. If there's supposed to be 8 friction plates, then yes. All 8 are there.

But here's a video I just made of the problem

Are you missing the ball bearing from the end of the push rod? Does it even have one I'm not familiar with that bike.