Sign in to follow this  

Rear Brake Caliper Issues!

Just replaced the fluid in rear brake and now the caliper will not move when actuated.

Yes, I used the proper bleeding procedure. Went with the syringe method from the bottom up.  Rinse repeat till all fluid is clear.

Put all back together to put new brake pads on and now the piston will not move.  It moved easily by hand when pushed in but will not move out.

Am I missing something? I bled this thing enough times to know there can't be any air in there.

Also noticed my rear brake had been fairly weak lately before rebuild. 

Super frustrated so I took the entire system apart, cleaned, detailed, put back together. Bleed Bleed Bleed!  Still no luck!

Thanks for any help!

push the brake pads apart with a screw driver, forcing the piston into the caliper, that will push the fluid and any air up through the master cylinder. It normally takes some pumping at the pedal to get pressure back then. Good luck.

Edited by restukey

push the brake pads apart with a screw driver, forcing the piston into the caliper, that will push the fluid and any air up through the master cylinder. It normally takes some pumping at the pedal to get pressure back then. Good luck.

Thanks but that was done about 10 times already.  I did notice my reservoir has that dry cracked look and is bulged out on the sides a little. 

Probably just time for a CRF master cylinder but would like to see if I can get this one working.

Sometimes if the caliper is in need of a clean or it has some corrosion on the pistons , when you push them in , they can jam . It might be the master cylinder , but I would check if the piston is able to move freely , greg

Still got air in system by the sounds of it

Bleed it normally, by pushing down lever, open bleed nipple & then close bleed nipple, then release lever and pump several times and repeat until no more air bubbles shows in the fluid being pumped out

Don't forget to keep the reservoir topped up with fluid

Edited by GuyGraham

Yep, still got air in it somewhere. Can be pretty hard to fully bleed a system when it runs horizontally,, so tilting you bike so the bleeder is at the highest point can help.

lay it on its side or similar.

Rebuilt master cylinder and new reservoir showed up today.  New fluid, bleed bleed bleed, and bingo, Back brake is working excellent now.

Thanks for tips. 

Also found that when rebuilding that it's easier to bleed the lines if you start with the res full and pump until it comes out the top.  Then place line on repeat till it comes out the bottom and attach to caliper.