Sign in to follow this  

Any tricks to figuring out what bike a wheel is for?

Hello, 

I recently picked up a 2003 KTM 525EXC and the guy threw in a ton of free stuff because he was moving and cleaning out the garage. On of the things I took off his hand is a mint rear wheel/tire/sprocket. However he had no idea what bike it was for! He owned several KTM's but claims that it must be from a friends bike and probably Japanese. 

The tire is a new Michelin M12 130/80-18 so it is off of a big bore bike. The rim is a D.I.D and I recognize the gold anodized hub as being RAD Mfg., plus it has a brand new matching gold supersprox sprocket on it. 

The inner diameter of the axle tube is about 20.1 mm and the length of the tube is about 176.1mm. 

Any ideas? 

The ID of the wheel bearings will indicate the axle size.  Then a seach of part fiche to find bike using the same bearing IDs. Also   look for casting marks on the hub, they may indicate brand/model.

Sprocket ID and bolt count is another indicator as is rotor ID and bolt count.

EBC catalog has ref info that may narrow your search based on rotor info. Same for the sprocket using sprocket catalogs.

Post some pics. Especially of the hub. Maybe someone will recognize it. I know that sounds crazy to identify a part like that from a picture. But, it might narrow your search down a bit. It's probably gonna fit on several different bikes (maybe even different brands if it's Japanese). For example, Yamaha has used the same rear hub on all of their big dirt bikes since 99'. I'm sure there's exceptions but you get the idea. Good luck.

It did.

Either way, pictures would help.  Other info such as the number of sprocket bolts, inside sprocket diameter, axle diameter, any markings indicating the origin of the casting, etc., will help too.