Sign in to follow this  

Dr650 vs Xr650 vs klr650

Okay, so I was planning on getting a drz-400 for my first bike. but after some consideration (my size 6'3 285-290) and some helpful opinions I decided to go with a 650cc dual sport. Now I'll be rideing 60-75% road and 25-30% trails and fireroads. Which is a good starter bike and why? Thank you for any input you have, and have a good one!

Okay, so I was planning on getting a drz-400 for my first bike. but after some consideration (my size 6'3 285-290) and some helpful opinions I decided to go with a 650cc dual sport. Now I'll be rideing 60-75% road and 25-30% trails and fireroads. Which is a good starter bike and why? Thank you for any input you have, and have a good one!

Most would put the KLR as the best on the road, but I'm on my second first generation, and ride mostly off road. I think it's a great bike obviously. At your size you may want some suspension work, the stock setup was way to soft for me at 175#. Be happy to answer any questions. Oh, I also owned a DRZ dirt version, then a WR450, then tesecond KLR.

Mike

Why a 650? I mean yeah, more power and stuff, but you better hope you don't get on any single track for your first time offroad. They look cool and all, but they weigh a fair amount.

I think a DRZ400 would suit you fine. The XR isn't bad at all, just suggestions if you plan on transitioning farther into offroad.

Well I will be doing highway driving so I figured the extra cc's would be nice, and most my "off roading" will be old gravel and dirt back roads and maybe a few 4-wheeler trails. I really like the drz400 but I want to have some extra cc's if things get hairy and I figured with my size and weight the drz just didn't the power to do it for me.

I think a DRZ400 would suit you fine.

GET ONE --- if you can find a nice DRZ400 you will love it and blow away the others.

You are comparing cc's ---1970 apples with 1990 oranges.

KLRs are so shitty made.... The just ooze cheaply made all around. The XR a sure bet...

Whatcha  drinking, cause it's sure better than anything I've got ? XR for 70% street? Ever see a 100K  XR? Miles, not kilos.

Mike

Whatcha drinking, cause it's sure better than anything I've got ? XR for 70% street? Ever see a 100K XR? Miles, not kilos.

Mike

Seen plenty of xr's with that mileage. Plus the xr looks a ton better. I hate the way the klr looks. But I'm partial to the drz. I don't like the air cooled factor of the other guys

Seen plenty of xr's with that mileage. Plus the xr looks a ton better. I hate the way the klr looks. But I'm partial to the drz. I don't like the air cooled factor of the other guys

Don't buy my bikes on looks. My current KLR is my second, and I also had the dirt DRZ, kickstart only. Not a bike for 70% street.

None of the bikes mentioned so far are air cooled. What current bikes are?

And plenty of XR's with 100K? there aren't plenty of any bikes with 100k, even streetbikes.

Mike

Don't buy my bikes on looks. My current KLR is my second, and I also had the dirt DRZ, kickstart only. Not a bike for 70% street.

None of the bikes mentioned so far are air cooled. What current bikes are?

And plenty of XR's with 100K? there aren't plenty of any bikes with 100k, even streetbikes.

Mike

I have seen xr's with 100k. And the xr is air cooled is it not? And plenty Street bikes make it to 100k.

I have seen xr's with 100k. And the xr is air cooled is it not? And plenty Street bikes make it to 100k.

Yes, the XR-L is current, and air cooled, though an antique, kinda like the KLR. You must see a lot of bikes because I've never personally seen a bike with 100k, let alone a DS. In about 300k of STREET riding over 40 years and untold miles of DS and off road.

Mike

Yes, the XR-L is current, and air cooled, though an antique, kinda like the KLR. You must see a lot of bikes because I've never personally seen a bike with 100k, let alone a DS. In about 300k of STREET riding over 40 years and untold miles of DS and off road.

Mike

I'm just saying on the yzf600r forums there are 5 guys that hit over 100k. On YouTube there's a guy who has logged over 300k on his cbr600. My friend has 93k on his xr650l. It happens

I'm just saying on the yzf600r forums there are 5 guys that hit over 100k. On YouTube there's a guy who has logged over 300k on his cbr600. My friend has 93k on his xr650l. It happens

I know it happens, there just aren't "plenty". It's pretty special, I might make it with my Z at 66k+ now. My KLR will never make it, but it's ridden off road.

We gave the OP probably more than he want's.

Have a good ride.

Mike

Yes, the XR-L is current, and air cooled, though an antique, kinda like the KLR. You must see a lot of bikes because I've never personally seen a bike with 100k, let alone a DS. In about 300k of STREET riding over 40 years and untold miles of DS and off road.

Mike

They are shipped to other countries  :D

There are alot of junk with 100k+ miles in Russia, Kazakhstan and what not still going, although many sellers roll back the milage on speedos to not scare off their customers, you can't imagine how much more miles a DRZ can have after you sell it with outrageously high milage like 20k  :)

They are shipped to other countries  :D

There are alot of junk with 100k+ miles in Russia, Kazakhstan and what not still going, although many sellers roll back the milage on speedos to not scare off their customers, you can't imagine how much more miles a DRZ can have after you sell it with outrageously high milage like 20k  :)

DRZ is a very solid bike, I had one, but sold it after I bought a newer WR450 for $100 more from a distressed party during the recession. I actually think most bikes can go for a very long time with proper care. I've only totally worn out one bike, a dirtbike in the '70's. (seized, then took out everything).

Mike

Mike

I'm 6'1 280 and my xr650l has no problem pulling me up hills or holding 75mph even with a headwind. Since you are going to be riding mostly road, it doesn't really matter all that much. xr650l is 70% dirt 30% street, klr650 is 20% dirt 80% street and heavier, dr650 would be 50/50 but the suspension is terrible and it is the shortest of the 3. The drz400 is a good little bike and shouldn't have much trouble carrying you around. My suggestion is to sit on all 4 bikes, test ride if you can, and buy whichever YOU like the best.

• Like 1