Sign in to follow this  

300 XC-W plated?

I posted this on another forum and I thought I would post it here as well.

I am looking to get back into the bike scene after a short hiatus from riding. A few years ago I sold all of my bikes to help foot a down payment on a house and now the time has come for me to get back into it. At the time I had a street bike also (just a little ninja 250) for the occasional ride around the back roads and a dirtbike. I never rode much on the road, maybe 300 miles a moth, and I was wondering would a 300 xc-w be a semi-logical bike to get. I understand it may be a pain in the ass to get it plated in North Carolina (and if its going to be impossible then I won't do it). However another concern would be would the engine be able to hold up to the work load of riding 300ish miles on the road a few months out of the year.

I am mainly interested in a dirtbike, but something that is street legal would be nice also. The main reason I am looking at 2 strokes is simply because I love the way a smoker sounds. I am aware that a 350/500exc may be a more logical choice, so I guess the question is, is my idea COMPLETELY insane?

I am looking to get back into the bike scene after a short hiatus from riding. A few years ago I sold all of my bikes to help foot a down payment on a house and now the time has come for me to get back into it. At the time I had a street bike also (just a little ninja 250) for the occasional ride around the back roads and a dirtbike. I never rode much on the road, maybe 300 miles a moth, and I was wondering would a 300 xc-w be a semi-logical bike to get. I understand it may be a pain in the ass to get it plated in North Carolina (and if its going to be impossible then I won't do it). However another concern would be would the engine be able to hold up to the work load of riding 300ish miles on the road a few months out of the year.

I am mainly interested in a dirtbike, but something that is street legal would be nice also. The main reason I am looking at 2 strokes is simply because I love the way a smoker sounds. I am aware that a 350/500exc may be a more logical choice, so I guess the question is, is my idea COMPLETELY insane?

it can be done but it is difficult, I would suggest if buying new, buy one from a dealer in SC and have them register it as a Motorcycle for road use, thats what i did back when i bought mine in april. told the guy i wanted it registered in case i ever wanted to ride it on street so i have the registration card for it all i would need is to get it inspected in nc (find somebody who will pass you) then get a tag. if buying in nc you won't get that option and it will be damn near impossible

I bought an 05' an few months ago from Alabama & got it plated in NC.  No problem with that.

I haven't ridden much street, just to an from the trails.  My bike is not good on the street.  I have not done anything yet to try and make it smoother, so I don't know how much better it could be.  My front wheel needs to be balanced and I need to change the gearing to lower the revs above 50 mph.   I'm planning to buy a 14t front sprocket and see how that works. 

To be honest I think you'd be happier with a 4 stroke.  Mixing gas is a bit of a hassle and the mpg isn't so good.  It works ok for me, but I'm only 10-15 minutes from the trails.  I've never ridden to town, and not sure I want to.

This bike is great on the trails, but I'd not sure it's so much better than a 400-500 4t KTM would be.  I love that it's so light, but just not sure it's worth it for much street use.  I guess it really depends on "how much" street use you really plan to do.  20 miles is a haul on mine.  I doubt I'd go much farther than that at a time.  Maybe after the re-gear and tire balancing, but not sure.

btw, I'm near Boone, NC.

Edited by GlennR

4 stroke will be much better on the road. My 2014 KTM 300xc is plated and I do ride it on the road but only to connect trail to trail. It's not "happy" or "fun" on the street but you can get by with short trips here an there on the back roads.

If I was going to be doing a considerable amount of dual sporting i'd look into getting something like a KTM 500 XCW or something.

Although, if I added dualsport tires, balanced the wheels, changed around the jetting and gearing, the 2 stroke 300 might work 'ok' for street use. Not sure because I haven't done it.

I ride a 2000 200 exc on the road occasionally and it does fine up to abput 45mph. Anything more and it gets on the pipe and will only accelerate.

Its not a bike I would put 300mi a month on, but riding 10min to the trails is fine. Much more than that and it gets pretty annoying. It has a heavy fww, decent jetting but is geared too high for road riding. If you don't go more than 35/40 it will cruise around fine. If your main use is on the road, just get a 4 stroke dual sport like the 350/500exc and go as far as you want

I have a 2000 125EXC that has THOUSANDS of road miles on it. With the sprocketing shown it has a top speed of 130kph (75mph) and hits the pipe at 80kph (50mph). It gets 55mpg on typical trips and has been a daily driver. I own a 2003 300KTM as well and the 125/200 is more road friendly due to gearing and power characteristics. It will run pretty close to a DRZ400 in acceleration to speed limit due to the weight advantage and of course is MUCH better off road.

25464_371305100802_4936935_n.jpg

Note the sideways licence plate to fit the slim rear fender. Questionable legality but once I take off the helmet and the officers see the grey hair none have complained about it. Most of the time I have been stopped because they don't associate 2-stroke noise with a street legal bike these days. Signal lights are super bright Halogen 20w units so everyone knows my intentions. Very small battery in the airbox. Oversize 20L tanks allow for 400km/250 mile range but add weight when full. Weight is about 220 lbs + 30 lbs of fuel.

As you can see I take it on street runs. I showed up with it on a street bike run once when my KZ1000 had a problem. The next smallest bike was a 600. The boys thought it was a 250 motocross. When I told them it was a 125 they said "we ain't gonna wait for you!" They didn't have to. I waited for some of them. It is awesome in the twisties and fears no gravel on the corners.

25464_371305075802_2896505_n.jpg

Note horn and 4 corner super bright signals. Speedo is a little electronic unit. Tail and brake lights are LED. These are the "highway" tires and I have knobbies for close to home. I also bring a smaller front sprocket and tools for very technical trails. The tall gears are OK for trails but serious off-road may need lower gearing.

25464_371305010802_442244_n.jpg

The biggest problem has been pipe cracks, especially with aftermarket pipes, from long miles "on the pipe" at 100-120kph (60-70mph). I have several pipes so I just swap them out and get them TIG welded. Mixing gas is no problem, carry a small measured bottle and just toss it in when I fill up. By the time the carb bowl is used up the oil is mixed. With modern synthetics if you mixed at 30:1 or 60:1 you will never notice or have a problem but it is easy to get it right. Just don't use cheap oil.

Incidentally my engine is set up to run on 83 octane fuel if I have to. Hi-test gas is often not available in rural areas here. Rarely I have to buy gas away with the large tanks but it happens on multi-day trips. Jetting is crucial. The writer that reported his 300 just accelerated once on the pipe needed a bit of fine tuning.

Like your Ninja 250 there is a joy in wringing out awesome performance from a small bike. 

I love this ride.

Steve

• Like 1

Although, if I added dualsport tires, balanced the wheels, changed around the jetting and gearing, the 2 stroke 300 might work 'ok' for street use. Not sure because I haven't done it.

I agree I have a 2013 xcw street legal for Utah in order to connect single track.... But once you get into the 50s you are on the pipe and if you are going farther than 10 miles I would be concerned... But it is a blast on curvy roads ripping through the gears.;) here in Utah I just added high beam switch because the light bulb is capable of night beam en blinkers and a horn... But that's all you need here...

Sent from my iPad using Thumper Talk

Wonder if he ever decided to get a 300 ?  

I'm in the next county over and have been having a blast on mine.  It's definitely the perfect bike for the mountain trails.

• Like 1