Sign in to follow this  

92 xr600r Strange Countershaft

I'm changing the front sprocket on my bike (see topic) and the countershaft is strange...has half as splines as the new sprocket. Every picture I see online has double the amount as well...not sure why. Anyone have ideas? Did they change countershaft types at some point? Is my engine older than '92?

Yep. Suck a mile. Bike was sold to me as a '92...I hate getting screwed. Recourse? Probably nothing. Due diligence...must be paid.

Thanks for your help.

Other than the rear brakes, there isn't much to differentiate a 92 from an 88-90. You have magnesium engine side covers and a rear drum brake I take it? It's a real drag when someone mis-represents an item they're selling like this but it happens frequently with older bikes for some reason . Don't sweat it-- if the bike is in good working order you'll love it just the same. Take it from the proud owner of an '88.

Thanks, I appreciate the words of encouragement. Interesting...rear disc brakes. Me thinks the engine must have been replaced. It runs good, just miffed on the misrepresentation and the fact that I've ordered a new sprocket chain set from Amazon and the front sprocket doesn't fit. So now I have too spend $18+ for another one.

Is there a reason Honda changed countershafts? Does it provide any advantage?

If is a 88-90 engine, they have a Nikasil lined cylinder, magnesium side covers (lighter than aluminum and so is the cylinder because it's all aluminum, no cast iron liner) and I think the transmission and small primary gear are lighter because they are drilled whereas the new ones are solid. If it had the 88-90 header, that would be sweet because they were a two piece and stainless steel.

It pretty much has to be an 88-90, because 87 and back had dual carbs, unless someone switched the head. I'd love to have a good running 88-90 engine.

Thanks, I feel better now. Single,XRs Only flat side carb. I think I'll be alright...just need to get that new front sprocket and I should be good to go. Getting the rear shock rebuilt, New rotors and pads, sprockets and chain, foot pegs, mirror for inspections and I'll be ready to roll.

I think the change in spline count was an attempt to increase the wear surface thus making the splines last longer. Did it work? There are a LOT of newer shafts that shed their splines so I am not convinced. BTW... I have a 1993  XRL engine that has a pre-91 countershaft in it. I am crash testing the notion that the larger splines on the old shafts might just be more durable than the more plentiful, but thiner splines on the new shafts.