Sign in to follow this  

How to: flash your headlight

With the bike running, and the clutch lever not pulled, pressing the starter button disables the headlight. Pressing it repeatedly flashes the headlight, which can be useful!

Also, since the clutch needs to be engaged (by default) in order for the starter go, I could hold down my start button, and use the clutch to "engage" the starter, then release the clutch to stop the starter from turning, and letting the bike run without a headlight. It might be helpful with a low battery or something.

This might be completely obvious to some, but it wasn't to me. Also, if you've disabled the clutch safety switch, a bunch of bad things will happen if you do this, so YMMV. :D

With the bike running, and the clutch lever not pulled, pressing the starter button disables the headlight. Pressing it repeatedly flashes the headlight, which can be useful! Also, since the clutch needs to be engaged (by default) in order for the starter go, I could hold down my start button, and use the clutch to "engage" the starter, then release the clutch to stop the starter from turning, and letting the bike run without a headlight. It might be helpful with a low battery or something. This might be completely obvious to some, but it wasn't to me. Also, if you've disabled the clutch safety switch, a bunch of bad things will happen if you do this, so YMMV. :D

the drz has been in production for a while now. do you know what year bikes have the headlight circuit interrupt ? i don't, but i know my 2004 does not. 

it would be a lot safer to add a 'flash to pass' switch, or just thumb the HI/LO switch than risk the damage. 

ps - LOTS of safety switches are bypassed on previously owned bikes. ;-) 

• Like 2

So you're hitting the starter while riding with the clutch pulled in?

Your starter and starter gear is not going to enjoy that abuse for too long.

Get a switch from another bike with a high-beam flasher. The SFV650 has a nice cluster setup.

• Like 2

Get a switch from another bike with a high-beam flasher. The SFV650 has a nice cluster setup.

Re-read the post, he isn't doing nor suggesting to do that.

Edited by Wisconsinite762

The  :aussy: DRZ'S have a button at the back of the turn signals switch thingie that is just for that,   legend has it,  you are supposed to press the button when passing another vehicle. 

Actually,  not sure if it makes it flash or just does soemthing with the high beams,  craigo/chooken and the rest of the  M8's will be along shortly and will clear this up. 

• Like 1

Had my morning cup of coffee. Got it now.

I also assumed everyone has taken out the clutch safety switch.

• Like 2

The  :aussy: DRZ'S have a button at the back of the turn signals switch thingie that is just for that,   legend has it,  you are supposed to press the button when passing another vehicle. 

Actually,  not sure if it makes it flash or just does soemthing with the high beams,  craigo/chooken and the rest of the  M8's will be along shortly and will clear this up. 

yep, Mine has a trigger style switch on the LHS in front of the indicator. it flashes from low to high beam, never used it, my past few bikes have also had the same thing.

• Like 1

yep, Mine has a trigger style switch on the LHS in front of the indicator. it flashes from low to high beam, never used it, my past few bikes have also had the same thing.

I don't seam to have this on my 14. or im not seeing it.

I will take a picture of mine tonight and post it up, cant find a pic on line,

Get a switch from another bike with a high-beam flasher. The SFV650 has a nice cluster setup.You're

You're not going to hurt the starter, your motor at idle is spinning faster than the starter is capable.  It and it's gears will just freewheel at the speed of the starter.  I've been hitting my starter button while idled at trouble stop lights for years and my starter has no issues.  Hitting your starter button will create enough magnetic field to trip the stubborn stop light sensors most of the time.

Headlight interrupt started in the US with the SM model and the S model got it at the same time.  2005 I think.  Really? operating the stater will trigger signal lights?

"flash to pass"... I think that would just piss people off in SoCal... I suppose most people move over anyway or you can filter past.

This is common on European models. It is normal to flash your headlight at a vehicle in front of you to signal you want to pass. They then move over and let you go. This is not on all US models as people are on the roads in this country are douche bags and either ignore it or don't understand what you are doing, so they stay in the left lane mile after mile regardless of speed or traffic. ;)

• Like 1