Sign in to follow this  

In the middle of loctite fixes and have some? 's

Hi all, I'm in the middle of the loctite fixes and have some questions

1. I noticed a white material on the bolts of the case covers, is it anti seize? Thread dealer? What do I need to put on there

2. I noticed there was some type of sealer on the part of the right side case gasket where the water channel is. Do I need to reapply something to the new gasket? Would high temp rtv work if so?

3. When I was pulling the stator cover off, the gasket came down out of place and got stuck between the dowel that aligns the case and the Case itself. If got slightly bent but the black coating is intact and there are no creases in the gasket. Can I reuse it or should I replace it?

4. Is the gear I'm pointing to in the picture the starter idler gear illustrated in the FAQ? I'm asking because it fell off when I pulled the stator cover and I want to make sure I put the washer on the correct side (which should be under the gear, on top of the circlip as far as I understand ).

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Also, I'd like to give a shout out to the guys who contributed to the FAQ section. I never would have been able to get to this point without the awesome write ups!

I've attached pictures to help illustrate my questions

1407989121006.jpg

1407989155945.jpg

1407989184980.jpg

1407989201106.jpg

Edited by aceofspades991
  • Like 1

1. I noticed a white material on the bolts of the case covers, is it anti seize? Thread dealer (sealer?)? What do I need to put on there?-----Where on the bolts? Threads? Is this a new motorcycle or something someone else has worked on?  Normally just some motor oil or light grease on the threads. No reason for Loctite or thread sealer.  I seem to remember there is 1 bolt on the right that has a seal washer.  White material on threads is often Zinc corrosion from the zinc plating on the bolts.

2. I noticed there was some type of sealer on the part of the right side case gasket where the watericon1.png channel is. Do I need to reapply something to the new gasket? Would high temp rtv work if so?-------- A new gasket will come with sealer on it.  No need to add any sealer.

3. When I was pulling the stator cover off, the gasket came down out of place and got stuck between the dowel that aligns the case and the Case itself. If got slightly bent but the black coating is intact and there are no creases in the gasket. Can I reuse it or should I replace it?------Without seeing I can't say.  Probably fine but it is actually cheaper than the paper gasket for the clutch side.

4. Is the gear I'm pointing to in the picture the starter idler gear illustrated in the FAQ?-----Yes

I'm asking because it fell off when I pulled the stator cover and I want to make sure I put the washer on the correct side (which should be under the gear, on top of the circlip as far as I understand ).-----Yes.  There is a washer on both sides of the snap ring.

I'd like to give a shout out to the guys who contributed to the FAQ section. -------Mostly the work of EriK Marquez who created the FAQ section.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your help, here and in other posts.

The white material is on the thread. Based on what you say I'll just clean whatever it is off and put them back.

It is not a new bike-its an 02 with 2k miles on it. I don't know what may have been done to it as I bought it used.