OVERSIZED BRAKE ROTORS

what's the point in them. For looks or performance. Because I can lock up the front wheel of my bike just fine on any surface with a pinky finger..

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.-

The assumption implied in your post is correct, in my opinion. For the dirt. Even for the street for most riders.

Mike

• Like 1

It's all about modulation, you can modulate the pressure much better on an oversized rotor then you can a regular rotor. Plus the oversized rotor will stay cooler

oh ok thank you for the response! I ride strictly dirt and was just wandering but my brakes are plenty enough for what I do! HAPPY RIDING!

-The brave may not live forever,but the cautious never live at all.-

I just put the Braking Batfly oversized kit on my YZ. My main reason is because I tend to drag my front brake a lot on my bikes.This usually ends up heating them up and gazing the pads /scorching the rotor, at the track or in a race. As Rideblue said, it will stay cooler and also have better action. It is a somewhat pricey investment but well worth it, in my opinion.

That's not at all accurate.

OK, so you can't take a joke, it's an old school saying, really! Yes, and 98%(WAG, so don't ask for any data to support my statement of the stuff quoted on thumper talk is not accurate,) so you want to debate that as well. And if you wish to debate that original statement it is accurate based on the facts presented by ah665 above, "I tend to drag my front brake a lot on my bikes." Please note where any pro rider suggests this practice to the point of bluing and glazing,over braking, which reduces braking efficency and would slow you down then. GEEZ, its just an old school saying!

I need to clarify, I don't drag the brakes upon acceleration, but if i am in any rut in a turn, I slightly drag the front brake until I open the throttle enough to where my finger no longer reaches the lever. It helps me actually go faster but it is a habit that I have. Not saying it is a pro technique or that I am pro speed, of course.

I need to clarify, I don't drag the brakes upon acceleration, but if i am in any rut in a turn, I slightly drag the front brake until I open the throttle enough to where my finger no longer reaches the lever. It helps me actually go faster but it is a habit that I have. Not saying it is a pro technique or that I am pro speed, of course.

Sounds like a solid technique

In no way attacking you,just some here want to debate every f ing thing, especially an "OLD SCHOOL SAYING, Really!
  • Like 1

You don't get any additional clamping force with an OS rotor, you get better heat dissipation which prevents the brakes from fading under hard use. If you want improved clamping force you need a different caliper for instance going from a twin to 4 piston caliper.

When brakes get hot they loose stopping power, there's only so much venting and pad compound can do.

Unless it is just in my head, I still feel like you get better lever feel. Not 'clamping power' obviously, since it is only the rotor being changed, but wouldn't the bigger rotor and caliper relocation allow the caliper to grab the rotor at a slower speed (due to the increased size?) I'm no engineer, so it could all just be in my head. Either way, whatever is going on down there, I think it is something you can feel through the lever, more than just keeping the rotor cool (but that was a major factor in my buying the kit)

Edited by ah665

Unless it is just in my head, I still feel like you get better lever feel. Not 'clamping power' obviously, since it is only the rotor being changed, but wouldn't the bigger rotor and caliper relocation allow the caliper to grab the rotor at a slower speed (due to the increased size?) I'm no engineer, so it could all just be in my head. Either way, whatever is going on down there, I think it is something you can feel through the level, more than just keeping the rotor cool (but that was a major factor in my buying the kit)

Better modulation and more consistent... You're on the right to track...

In no way attacking you,just some here want to debate every f ing thing, especially an "OLD SCHOOL SAYING, Really!

That time of month is it? Really!

Ever stop to think that not all posters are old enough to have heard these sayings?