Sign in to follow this  

2013-2014 Models CRF450x vs WR450f vs XC-W 450

Hey guys I'm new to thumpertalk and have a $7,000-$9,000 question (I'm buying new). Which bike would you go with honda's CRF450x, Yamaha's WR450f, or KTM's XC-W 450? Im taking everything into account build quality, handling, weight, after market support, durability ect. I like the KTM the most (and it's the lightest, weight is very important for me) but it is the most expensive and I have heard negative things about their aftermarket support and replacing parts. I also like the 6th gear on the KTM the bike over all just feels the most modern. Ive ridden the honda and liked it but the lack of FI makes me feel like it will become dated fast. The yamaha seams to be a nice middle ground but I simply know the least about. 

I primarily ride rocky desert trails and open desert roads, washes ect. I just got rid of my DRZ400 and am looking for something lighter and more race/trail orientated. I'm pretty much only interested in buying new 2013-2014/15 models and I'm looking for 450s.

Turbo I was in almost your same position about a month ago, mainly stuck between the 12-14 wr450 and 450xcf. I ride what sounds like the same type of terrain you do (high speed washes, rocky trails, single track etc) and wanted a four stroke to complement my offroad setup 2002 rm250. I rode a stock wr and liked it quite a bit even though it was corked up. Never got a chance to ride the KTM. Then rode a 2006 crf450x that was uncorked with exhaust and 02 crf450r cam. Holy crap what a bike. Extremely fast and confidence just feels like its made for high speed desert riding. I ended up finding a very clean used crf450x for 3k leaving me plenty of money left over to setup the suspension and uncork. Any reason you're only looking at new?

Wr's are pretty bullet proof....Once uncorked and set up for your weight they're pretty solid. They don't feel as heavy as I thought they would either. Never ridden the ktm or crf though.

Edited by wadzi90

Hey guys I'm new to thumpertalk and have a $7,000-$9,000 question (I'm buying new). Which bike would you go with honda's CRF450x, Yamaha's WR450f, or KTM's XC-W 450? Im taking everything into account build quality, handling, weight, after market support, durability ect. I like the KTM the most (and it's the lightest, weight is very important for me) but it is the most expensive and I have heard negative things about their aftermarket support and replacing parts. I also like the 6th gear on the KTM the bike over all just feels the most modern. Ive ridden the honda and liked it but the lack of FI makes me feel like it will become dated fast. The yamaha seams to be a nice middle ground but I simply know the least about. 

I primarily ride rocky desert trails and open desert roads, washes ect. I just got rid of my DRZ400 and am looking for something lighter and more race/trail orientated. I'm pretty much only interested in buying new 2013-2014/15 models and I'm looking for 450s.

Look at Beta 450 or 498rr. I'd rather have a Beta 450 than the other bikes you have mentioned.. All bikes are good these days so you can't go wrong with anything you get but start reading reviews. Check out different Beta threads. Check with the owner reviews and see what they say. I haven't seen any bike that has better owner satisfaction so far than Beta has.. As far as FI.. I rather not have it and find it much better to not have it in case of failure in the trails... that's up to you but I rather have a carb have problems in the trails than have EFI problems. Beta's handle well, are easy to ride and have excellent power that hooks up.  I've had one since 09 and just got a second one this year.. a 4 and a 2 stroke. I'm very happy. The bikes are superb and the service from Beta is very good. It's been the best of any brand for me.. research and check out more info. ..but no matter what new bike you get they'll all be pretty good. I think of the bikes in this class I'd take maybe a Beta 450 or 498rr or a street legal 520 RS. I didnt go the route of the DRZ400 but it seems a bunch of new Beta riders have been ex drz400 guys. They talk a bit on different threads about it.

http://www.betausa.com/node/729

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Best stability, suspension, ergos, handling, motor, and longevity = Honda 450X

Second best handling, suspension, motor, ergos, etc = WR450

Lightest, nimblest, (but not the best handling) = KTM 450 XCF

Closest to the Honda, but slightly smaller Ergos = Beta 490/520

The best over all light bike = Sherco 300SEF-R.....to bad it's so hard to get.

Be warned: The KTM ergos are like no other. Very high pegs, rear weight distribution, very long swingarm that makes for difficlutly steering with the rear wheel.

WP suspension is flexy, and KTM power is soft on delivery. The bikes feel really light, and are lighter by about 24lbs, but I don't think that is as important as handling!

If you like riding like a mountain bike (no drifting, no severe impact terrain) then the KTM is the ultimate. But if you like to play MX, you will find it odd. 

They also don't like being crashed: one drop on the shifter and you have a big repair bill. One loop-out and you have a bent frame and sub frame. 

That is the price for lightness.

• Like 2

In my opinion, the whole EFI argument is mute. A properly set up carb will work as well as EFI. Are there advantages to EFI? For sure, but they are really small advatages. There is littl ethat goes wrong with EFI, but when it does, you are dead in your tracks. Generally, a carb will let you know it's not happy, but will almost always get you home. Old school, but very reliable if you treat it right. For the money a KTM is simply just not worth the extra cash IMHO. The WR450 is a great bike once uncorked and for most purposes is the equal of the CRF450X. Where it's not it's equal, it can be made so most of the time.

The "exotics" like Beta and Sherco, are really nice, but it is best to have a local source of parts and service (at least for me it is). For these bikes, that can be tough to find. Husaberg and Husqvarna are variations on a theme with KTM inside and variations in suspension, tuning and plastics. Most of the same caviats listed for KTM apply there as well. Mucho dollaros, with no real advantages to justify the extra cost.

When I bought new, I got a new last years model out of the crate at much reduced price. It was by far the best value I could find and I do not regret it for a second. If  it were me I'd choose the CRF450X over anything out there as striking the best balance for performance and value.

Edited by harkon
  • Like 1

Best stability, suspension, ergos, handling, motor, and longevity = Honda 450X

Second best handling, suspension, motor, ergos, etc = WR450

Lightest, nimblest, (but not the best handling) = KTM 450 XCF

I know you stated later that the ktm isn't the most durable. Between the WR and CRF which one do you think would hold up better to dropping and other kinds of abuse? and the major difference between the WR and CRF, FI. Do you think it makes that much of a difference? I do live in AZ so there is a fair amount a variation in altitude on some trails with all the mountains and mountain passes. Would the lack of FI on the CRF be noticeable? 

Thank you all for the responses so far they are all helpful. 

Carb vs EFI is irrellevant. 

Set up wrong, they both are a pain in the ass. 

Altitude is irrellevant properly, set up.

Oh, and you can't just ride a FI dirt bike from sea level to 9k ft.....it's won't adjust on it's own until you re-set the baseline.  It's not like a car.

FI comes closer stock, but changing jetting (mapping) is a requiement, and a learning curve and expensive 

We have dozens more years of knowedge base with carbs.

The WR is the most indestructable dirtbike on the planet, that is actually competitive.

Buy it with a GYTR kit and tuner, and get the suspension tuned, and you have a really good dirt bike.

The CRF450's will require a head rebuild to upgrade the valves in the first two years of it's life. Then it's fixed for years.

They are the king of going over 50mph on nasty terrain.

I love my CRF450X.  I know Krannie said they require a head rebuild in the first two years, however, I have to respectfully disagree.  I have had my bike for almost 4 years now, I ride it very very hard, and have never had an issue.  I know earlier R's and X's would burn oil, my bike has never burned a drop.  I would check out the Precision Concepts Stage 3 kit.  Precision Concepts used to build bikes for JCR so they know what they are talking about.  I change my oil every 15-20 hours using Honda's full synthentic (Red Bottle) oil.  I run 14/48 steel sun star sprockets and that is great for 5 mph rocky single track to 101 mph wide open desert roads.  My brother built his 2012 X the same as mine and it is amazing how tight Honda's tolerances are.  The bikes feel identical and even have the same top speed of 101 mph.  I too have looked at the KTM's and even the new Husky's are tempting.  However, when you look at the deal you can get on an X, how reliable the bike is, and how fun and stable it is at speed, going red becomes a no brainer in my humble opinion.  Good luck with your decision.  Nothing like bringing a new bike home!!!

• Like 1

Do you have a 2 Ring OEM Piston ?

I love my CRF450X.  I know Krannie said they require a head rebuild in the first two years, however, I have to respectfully disagree.  I have had my bike for almost 4 years now, I ride it very very hard, and have never had an issue.  I know earlier R's and X's would burn oil, my bike has never burned a drop.  I would check out the Precision Concepts Stage 3 kit.  Precision Concepts used to build bikes for JCR so they know what they are talking about.  I change my oil every 15-20 hours using Honda's full synthentic (Red Bottle) oil.  I run 14/48 steel sun star sprockets and that is great for 5 mph rocky single track to 101 mph wide open desert roads.  My brother built his 2012 X the same as mine and it is amazing how tight Honda's tolerances are.  The bikes feel identical and even have the same top speed of 101 mph.  I too have looked at the KTM's and even the new Husky's are tempting.  However, when you look at the deal you can get on an X, how reliable the bike is, and how fun and stable it is at speed, going red becomes a no brainer in my humble opinion.  Good luck with your decision.  Nothing like bringing a new bike home!!!

Yes, I still have the stock piston.

Your bike burns oil, there is no way around that...it might not burn much but it burns it

• Like 1

To me, this photo explains it all:

One bike can be ridden with finnesse at low speed, and be a bear to drift, or accelerate under duress

The other bike can be ridden with finnesse at high speed, and be a bear to control at low speeds.

I prefer the later type of handling....

IMG_40941_zps51b250ef.jpg

Edited by Kah Ran Nee

Your bike burns oil, there is no way around that...it might not burn much but it burns it

Believe what you want.  I check my oil after every ride and the level never changes.  My R on the other hand, burned oil.

Make sure that you ask the same questions on the Yamaha and KTM forums if you haven't already done so. Then you can balance out the responses.

Make sure that you ask the same questions on the Yamaha and KTM forums if you haven't already done so. Then you can balance out the responses.

That's funny.

You will get cited and receive warning points in the KTM forums if you give your opinion and experiences.