Sign in to follow this  

My bikes idle is never the same please help. XR600

So my bike is currently having minor surgery atm so I thought maybe while it is apart i could tackle the other problem which was carby related.

When I would start the bike, let it idle till warm, adjust the idle screw so it idles at 1200 rpm (i have an hour meter that changes to a tacho when the bike runs). Then ill take it for a squirt then when I stop the bike will either be idling way too high or so low it will almost stall so I would then adjust the idle screw up or down depending which way the idle needs to go. Then keep riding then next time i stop it would be idling opposite to what it did last time i stopped. Any suggestions what could be constantly fluctuating the idle on it that i could check and fix while the bike is apart?

Sounds like air leak Check intake boot for cracks one way to check if bike is running is spray starter fluid around intake if revs go up need new boot. BUT be VERY careful using it as highly flammble!

Also, check the throttle cables. Lube them if they look OK; not frayed.

You can disconnect them from the throttle tube, use a page from a magazine and form a funnel around the end and tape the base of the funnel around the cable housing with the opening of the housing just at the base of the funnel. Pour a light weight oil in the funnel until it runs out the carb end of the cable.

Or, simply use a cable oiler, if you have one. I've had the same one for years and it works as good as new.

better a higher idle for engine oiling so maybe not a bad thing but possibly a manifold air leak. i had the o-ring go bad there and used some gasket maker + oring and it sealed up.

Thanks for the advice so far fellas. Of course i cant do much while the engine is in pieces but i know there are no leaks in the boots as i did the starter fluid check and when I pulled the carby off, the O-ring between the boot and head was in pretty good condition which I'm assuming had been replaced when it had a top-end rebuild done before I had bought the bike. I did notice the other day that the return cable is frayed on the carby end so I'll replace that while I'm going. Any other suggestions keep them coming. Cheers.

And Bomber it is a 1996-97 model. It has 9/96 on the ID plate