Sign in to follow this  

A few bike buying ?'s financing, 2t or 4t, used or new

Hi all, I have a load of questions about my next bike purchase and i will try to ask my questions and provide details the best i can. 1st thing about me and my riding, I am 37 years old and my riding will be 50/50 mx tracks and trails, mostly practice tracks, single track trails, and atv trails. I have had a couple 250 2t's, a 00 kx250 and a 06 yz250. My yz got stolen 4 years ago and i've wanted to get another bike to replace it ever since. i have put myself in the best situation since 09 to get 1 and i saved up about $2k so far (i just started saving lol). I know full well that i can get a 250 2t from 00-04 for $1-2k all day long, and i could probably sell it for the same in a couple years and not really lose much out of it, but that is a down grade from my 06 and i'm not sure if i want to down grade (who does) Meanwhile in my area there is a lack of 05-08 250's and the 1's i see are asking around $2500-4k, just out of my reach. I can get a 14 250sx for $5,400 or a yz for around $5700 plus tax etc. I have heard that yamaha credit cards are easy to get approved for but i am not for sure on that anymore, and i have no idea how the other brands are about credit cards. So now i am asking myself, do i try to get a loan for a good used 1, or do i say the heck with it and buy a new bike i can take home right away, pending i get approved for a cc or whatever the dealer has me do. I will not be bragging about my credit score at this time and if i get denied a loan or 2 i will be going backwards with my credit score which i've been worrking on this past year or so.

My next question ties in with the other questions, how about getting me a 250f or even a 125, if i got a 125, i would only buy a used 1, but a 250f, i would probably buy a yzf if it was an 07 or older, but after that i am open to any brand. I am very mechanically inclined and have rebuilt a couple or few in my time for some side cash, so the maintenance doesn't bother me (to bad) and about the 250f idea, i really like the easy to ride feature they have, for my older and way out of shape self lol so that's why i am kicking that idea around as well. Enough rambling on from me now, i just want to thanks anyone in advance for any of my questions being answered.

Quick short reply in regards to your questions.  Don't buy an old 250f.  Their potential cost of maintenance is much higher compared to a 2 stroke when they aren't maintenanced correctly.  In your price range you probably won't find those lower hour 250f in great condition.  You can find a newer good condition yz125 in your price range.  However, only you will know if a 125 is going to be large enough of an engine for you.  In regards to the 250 2t you don't have to look just at a yz or a ktm.  You can find newer rm and cr in the 04-05 range for $2-2.5k on cl.  They're still great bikes.

For the loan side of things I guess it depends on if you care about depreciation.  Lets say you pay around $6k for the new KTM with taxes,fees and interest.  After 5 years that bike is going to be worth around $3-3.5k.  That means the bike is costing you $500-600 a year to own.  If you went to the bank and get a personal loan for $1500 and bought a 2011 for $4k you'd halve the depreciation you'd get.  I can also tell you that that a 2011ish is a great bike.

• Like 1

The riding you described is pretty much what the XCF was made for. Should be able to find plenty in the 3-5k range...Save a few more pennies or get a personal loan, factor in some bucks for gear and any other stuff you might need. The interest rates are pretty cut throat last one I got was around 13%, but i was able to pay it off quickly, you basically walk out with cash in hand if you want.

Edited by Arctic Pride
  • Like 1

I'll tell you what I'd do but it all depends really.

I've bought used and new before but I will never buy new again because it's a lot of wasted money I think. I'm just as happy riding 15 year old bikes as I am riding new ones. I'm guessing you don't need a plate and with mechanical knowledge I'd look for something cheap and rebuild it. That way I'd feel confident of it being reliable and I'd have a fresh bike for not much money. If you ever want to sell it, then those 1-2k bikes aren't going to lose much, if anything.

As for 250 v 250f v 125, it's really up to you. I'm casually looking at 250fs around 10 years old...

• Like 1

Don't buy an old 250f.  Their potential cost of maintenance is much higher compared to a 2 stroke when they aren't maintenanced correctly.  In your price range you probably won't find those lower hour 250f in great condition.  You can find a newer good condition yz125 in your price range.  However, only you will know if a 125 is going to be large enough of an engineicon1.png for you.  In regards to the 250 2t you don't have to look just at a yz or a ktm.  You can find newer rm and cr in the 04-05 range for $2-2.5k on cl.  They're still great bikes.

For the loan side of things I guess it depends on if you care about depreciation.  Lets say you pay around $6k for the new KTM with taxes,fees and interest.  After 5 years that bike is going to be worth around $3-3.5k.  That means the bike is costing you $500-600 a year to own.  If you went to the bank and get a personal loan for $1500 and bought a 2011 for $4k you'd halve the depreciation you'd get.  I can also tell you that that a 2011ish is a great bike.

I guess i've always wanted a 125 since i started riding, with the ease of maintenance, the ease of throwing it around and the lack of rider fatigue is appealing to me. I havent seen to many on craigslist except for a few beat up 99-02's and nothing around an 05-07ish. I have seen a couple 09-12's but they wanted in the 4k range for them. Power wise, ithink they would have enough umph in most cases but it is a slight concern of mine.

About the 250f's i have only ridden 2 different 04 crf250's and i really liked the cornering of them on a moto track. Also much less fatiging on me than my 250 2t's. I have carpel tunnel so rider fatigue is a concern right now for me. I have seen a '11 yzf overstock for $4499 and a rmz around the same price range, so that got me thinking of getting a new bike. I have no idea how much better they got from the 04 i ridden, but could imagine they got way better in every department. I really don't want a project bike as I've seen a good few of them, and i just want to get into riding soon. I rebuilt 4 quad motors on the side this summer and i am getting burnt out, plus I'm located in minnesota and riding season is coming to a close in a couple months.

About the 250 2t's, i have had my eye out to replace my 06 yz with another 05 or up aluminum frame. It has been so long since i rode it that i forgot how good that bike was, and i barely got any time on it before it disappeared on me. I keep an eye out for the other brands, and if i remember right the rm got a makeover in 04? kx 03 and cr in 02. Again, not much in my area and hardly close enough to what i am willing to pay. So again i looked into new 1's which are obviously left with ktm and yz. The yz hasn't got much for changes since my 06, but that sx sounds pretty rad. But then we got depreciation. For some reason i have seen a few 99 yz's the most on craigslist, both 250's and 125's. (must have been a good year in sales) a couple 250's for around $1100 and i have been tempted to look at them, but then i would be down grading and i remember how much i didn't like the suspension on my 00 kx and the brakes just sucked on that bike lol I do think i should maybe talk to my bank about getting a good used 1, which we know is the smartest way to go, and see what kind of rates i can get. And maybe knowing how much to spend will open up a few doors for me...

The riding you described is pretty much what the XCF was made for. Should be able to find plenty in the 3-5k range...Save a few more pennies or get a personal loan, factor in some bucks for gear and any other stuff you might need. The interest rates are pretty cut throat last one I got was around 13%, but i was able to pay it off quickly, you basically walk out with cash in hand if you want.

I have thought about a ktm, infact the 350 sounded great the minute i heard about it, definitely on my bucket list, but for now i have a 10 acre practice track at my brothers place and 1 annual trip on some single track trails and i can make due with a moto bike for that, but eventually i want to get a bike for more long trail rides. Also i haven't had a loan with a bank since 2010 and i suddenly remembered how much 13% would drive me up the wall, so if i do get a loan, i'll be certain to pay it off early.

I'll tell you what I'd do but it all depends really.

I've bought used and new before but I will never buy new again because it's a lot of wasted money I think. I'm just as happy riding 15 year old bikes as I am riding new ones. I'm guessing you don't need a plate and with mechanical knowledge I'd look for something cheap and rebuild it. That way I'd feel confident of it being reliable and I'd have a fresh bike for not much money. If you ever want to sell it, then those 1-2k bikes aren't going to lose much, if anything.

As for 250 v 250f v 125, it's really up to you. I'm casually looking at 250fs around 10 years old...

I am right with you that i could get a fixer upper, but as described above, i think for now i want to ride, after that maybe i will want a project bike. Depending on what i get, say i get a 250 2t than find an older 125 to throw around once in a while. Also about rebuilding, in the event i want some motor work done, i can build it for my needs.

More things to think about lol

You just need to find the Right 10 year old 250 4T .

I am waiting to hear back from a friend who knows someone with an05 crf250 that is on the stock top end. 1 of those guys that was a slow rider, lugging around the cabin, and bike sat around etc. i can pretty much expect to put in new valves right off the get go for that bike if the price is right and if he still wants to sell it.

Don't go with the manufacturer's credit (unless it was the suzuki 0 percent, but thats over now), you will generally be looking in the teens for percentage. At least that was like that a couple of years ago. A route that you might want to explore is a credit union. I believe my last personal loan was something like six or seven percent.

• Like 1

Don't go with the manufacturer's credit (unless it was the suzuki 0 percent, but thats over now), you will generally be looking in the teens for percentage. At least that was like that a couple of years ago. A route that you might want to explore is a credit union. I believe my last personal loan was something like six or seven percent.

Thats exactly what i was thinking about, i been dragging my feet about getting into a credit union. Maybe this will push me over the edge

Thats exactly what i was thinking about, i been dragging my feet about getting into a credit union. Maybe this will push me over the edge

After I had my account, the process was actually superfast. I think that I was in and out with cash in hand in less than 25 minutes. I still have a bad habit of doubling up payments, but at that interest rate, it isn't like the credit union really cares if it is paid off rather quickly. I have my auto loan serviced by my credit union also, and they are charging me 3.9 percent on it, and currently are down to 1.75% for vehicles '11 or newer. Been extremely happy with them, compared to something like ally or a manufacturer credit card sort of thing.

Edited by orangyktmthing
  • Like 1

After I had my account, the process was actually superfast. I think that I was in and out with cash in hand in less than 25 minutes. I still have a bad habit of doubling up payments, but at that interest rate, it isn't like the credit union really cares if it is paid off rather quickly. I have my auto loan serviced by my credit union also, and they are charging me 3.9 percent on it, and currently are down to 1.75% for vehicles '11 or newer. Been extremely happy with them, compared to something like ally or a manufacturer credit card sort of thing.

Sweet, hope my credit union works out the same for me. I actually am a member at my dads credit union from his work. I forgot because my dad is retired for some time now and i moved away from that area. I talked to my dad today about it,and he's going to get me set up with his go to guy/gal. My dad is kind of a wheeler and dealer, so this will make him feel better about himself and keep him occupied. Next week i hope to get something going with it pending i get approved. My credit is needing some work and i cannot find a better way to repair it than a new bike, right!

I've been dragging my feet on the credit unoin idea so far this week because of the distance, but i posted a ad on craigslist and i have gotten a text from a guy selling his 09 250sx for $3200 and a couple yz125's 04 and 02. The sx is pretty nice looking from what i can see. Do you think the 06+ yz is a better bike still? I have read that the sx really came along starting in 11 with the motor and the rear suspension. Here is 2 adds for an 05 yz http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/mcy/4579827026.html and an 06 yz that i will be able to pay cash for by the weekend...

here http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/mcy/4571758645.html

Thanks guys

i would be carefull if you buy a used 250f they are great bike but they are expensive to rebuild and when you are buying used who knows how long it will last since you dont know its history

• Like 1