Sign in to follow this  

How bad is a converted supermoto with dirt suspension/brakes?

Topic says it all really.

Been riding for 8 months on a ninja 650. About to sell it for a wr450 and start learning all over again in the dirt.

I'd love to have a quick-swap set of 17" rims that can match up to the same brake calipers so I can swap between motard/dirt

My question is, will a novice like me have any need to upgrade the stock suspension to make it more streetable? Or will I be fine and have great fun anyway?

Thanks guys pretty &%$#@!in excited

Topic says it all really.

Been riding for 8 months on a ninja 650. About to sell it for a wr450 and start learning all over again in the dirt.

I'd love to have a quick-swap set of 17" rims that can match up to the same brake calipers so I can swap between motard/dirt

My question is, will a novice like me have any need to upgrade the stock suspension to make it more streetable? Or will I be fine and have great fun anyway?

Thanks guys pretty &%$#@!in excited

If your not a hard rider and just novicing around you will probably be ok. The WR450 does have notoriously bad base valves in the front forks that cause them to sack through the travel. So it would be better to get them fixed with Gold valves or a good suspender shop.

With the smaller rear tire you will find you've reached top speed earlier unless you change your gearing ratios

Oh it'll be exciting.  Recommend a smaller bike for learning, get some skills then move up. 

I find moto suspesion a dream on the road so plush with alot of grip in the twisties